RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Huestis, Powell selected in 2014 NBA Draft

Josh Huestis and Dwight Powell, not even one month after graduation, became the first Cardinal players to be taken in the NBA Draft since Landry Fields was picked in the second round by the New York Knicks in 2010.

Josh Huestis (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Josh Huestis (above) on Thursday night became the first Stanford player to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft since Robin and Brook Lopez in 2008. Huestis will join an Oklahoma City Thunder squad that made the Western Conference Finals in 2014. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Huestis was picked 29th overall in the first round by the Oklahoma City Thunder, while Powell was taken in the second round by the Charlotte Bobcats, then later traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Huestis, from Great Falls, Montana, is the 12th player in school history to have been drafted in the first round and is the first since Brook and Robin Lopez in 2008.

In his senior season, the 6-foot-7 forward averaged 11.2 points and 8.2 rebounds per game, shooting .451 from the field. He finished his time on the Farm with the program record for career blocks with 190. Huestis is also eighth in program history in career rebounds at 834 and second in games played at 134. Powell holds the record for games played at 136.

Huestis, a tenacious defender, led his team against Kansas University in the third round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament, shutting down the 2014 No.1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins to help secure Stanford’s place in the Sweet 16. An All-Pac-12 Defensive Team selection for three years, Huestis brings to OKC the versatility to guard multiple positions and the length to protect the rim in spite of his relatively small stature. He brings the ability to not only help on the defensive end, but to contribute offensively by knocking down mid-range jumpers and converting from behind the arc.

Although Huestis began his time on the Farm as a key contributor off the bench, his determination and work ethic earned him a solid starting position during his junior year, when he started 34 games. He won the team’s Most Improved Player award for three seasons, and this year won the athletic department’s Jake Gimbel Award, given to the senior with the best competitive attitude. Athletic success runs in the family, as Huestis’ brother Christian Dean, a soccer player at Cal, was drafted third overall to play Major League Soccer. 

Powell, who could have declared for the 2013 NBA Draft after a stellar junior season but who nevertheless decided to return for his senior year, was selected 45th overall in the second round — making him the sixth player in program history to go in the second round.

During his junior year, Powell averaged a team-high 14.9 points to go along with 8.4 rebounds per game. He was the only Pac-12 player to be ranked among the conference’s top 10 in both scoring and rebounding. Powell returned for his senior season to fulfill a promise to his late mother, who battled with cancer.

The Toronto, Ontario native was a two-time All-Pac-12 First Team honoree, and was named the Pac-12 Most Improved Player of the Year after his junior season. Powell was also recognized as a Preseason Wooden Award candidate heading into his senior season. He concluded his four years on the Farm with the legacy of being a well-rounded player, finishing seventh in blocks, ninth in steals and 18th in assists in program history.

The 6-foot-10 power forward ended his senior year in the 2014 NCAA Tournament with upsets over New Mexico and Kansas to help earn Stanford its fifth Sweet 16 appearance. Powell averaged 14 points and 6.9 rebounds per game on .462 shooting during his senior season.

A team captain alongside Huestis, Powell received the athletic department’s Bill Walsh Leadership Award. The duo of Huestis and Powell led the Cardinal to a 23-13 overall record this past season. They are the 30th and 31st NBA Draft picks in program history.

Stanford has had 11 NBA Draft selections since 2000, good for third best among Pac-12 schools. This year, Stanford has seen 18 student-athletes drafted to play their sports professionally, with two athletes headed to the WNBA, two to the NBA, six to the NFL and eight to the MLB.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.