Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Goldstein ’98 named men’s tennis head coach

Former Stanford tennis star Paul Goldstein ’98 was named the Cardinal’s men’s tennis head coach this month after John Whitlinger retired  in May, announced Athletic Director Bernard Muir.

(ROD SEARCEY/Stanford Athletics)

Paul Goldstein ’98 led the Cardinal to a 104-6 record and four national titles during his time of the Farm. (ROD SEARCEY/Stanford Athletics)

“I am humbled, honored, but most of all inspired by the opportunity to lead a program with such a strong intergenerational legacy of athletic and academic excellence,” Goldstein told GoStanford. “I have been a proud member of the Stanford tennis family since I first arrived on campus in 1994 and am thrilled to be returning to the Farm. I look forward to working with our student-athletes and the broader Stanford community to drive success both on and off the court.”

Goldstein graduated from Stanford in 1998 with a degree in Human Biology. During his time on the Farm, he became the first player in NCAA history to compete as a starting member of four straight national championship teams, earning All-America honors each year. Goldstein also led his team to a 104-6 overall record from 1995-98. In May 2013, Goldstein was inducted into the ITA Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame and now serves on the ITA Hall of Fame Committee.

As a senior, Goldstein won Pac-10 Player of the Year, losing only two of his 35 matches. The 1997-8 team finished the season undefeated, dropping only three individual points, and went on to win the national title for a fourth consecutive year. Goldstein finished his career on the Farm with 84 dual match victories, good for fifth in program history.

After Stanford, Goldstein played professionally for 10 years, making his way into the world’s top-200 in less than one year. His ATP rankings reached as high as No. 58 in singles and No. 4o in doubles during those 10 years. For the majority of his professional career, he was the highest ranked player in the world with a college degree. During his professional tenure, he also served a leader, elected by his peers to the 10-member ATP Player Council, which represents the interests of professional tennis players by acting as the contact between the ATP Board of Directors and senior management.

Most recently, Goldstein has been involved with collegiate tennis, serving as a Pac-12 Networks color analyst for the past two seasons for dual meet and conference championships.

“Paul has enjoyed success at every level of his career and his noticeable passion for our men’s tennis program makes him a great fit to be our next head coach,” Muir told GoStanford. “Paul’s infectious enthusiasm and ability to cultivate and sustain positive relationships stood out as dynamic qualities during the search process, which attracted both national and international candidates. Throughout the search, Paul’s name continued to rise above an extremely deep, talented and distinguished pool.”

Goldstein returns to his alma mater and inherits a Stanford team that went 14-6 overall and 5-2 in Pac-12 play during the Card’s 2013-14 campaign and sees the loss of three players to graduation. 

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.