RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford captures 20th consecutive Directors’ Cup

The Stanford Athletic Program officially claimed its 20th consecutive Division I Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup on Tuesday with an announcement made at the National Association of Collegiate Directors of America conference.

The 20th Directors’ Cup came much easier than last year’s 19th – even with the 2014 baseball and track & field national championships still to be determined, the Cardinal have an insurmountable lead. Stanford currently has 1,479 total points, ahead of Notre Dame (1,102.75) and Florida (1099.5).

The Cup is awarded annually to the country’s best collegiate athletic program, as evaluated based on national results in up to the school’s 10 best men’s and 10 best women’s sports. Eighteen Stanford teams finished in the top 10 nationally this year, including the women’s water polo squad, which won the national title. With that win, Stanford has captured a national championship for the past 38 straight years.

In what Stanford Athletics called “a nod to the unique success attained by its students in athletics and academic,” senior water polo player Lexie Ross accepted the award on the University’s behalf and spoke at the awards luncheon.

Only one other school has ever won the Directors’ Cup – after UNC claimed the inaugural award in the 1993-94 school year, Stanford has taken all 20 titles since. Final standings for 2013-14 will be released after the baseball season concludes next week.

Contact Jana Persky at jpersky ‘at’ stanford.edu

About Jana Persky

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.