The one thing going right for Stanford up until this point was penalties. 15-yard pass interference called on Alameen Murphy: 6 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Solomon Thomas was injured after tallying his 2nd tackle of the night. His absence could be devastating for the already struggling defense.: 9 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
A.T. Hall can't handle the pass rush. Washington gets its fourth sack of the night.: 16 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
While only averaging 3.4 yards per carry, McCaffrey has racked up 87 yards in kickoff returns so far.: 18 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
The Cardinal holds the Dawgs to a field goal with 8:52 to go in the half. Stanford can't be content with anything less than 7 on this drive.: 20 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Zach Hoffpauir is saved from a pass interference call after a shove on Ross in the end zone.: 22 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Browning has all the time in the world. Even if Stanford's secondary wasn't getting burnt every other play, the front 7 need to put pressure: 25 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In a big 3rd down for the Cardinal, the Huskies execute the run option to move into the red zone.: 26 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Washington continues to pass at will for a 19-yard gain utilizing John Ross yet again.: 28 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Chryst wasn't ready for that snap, and neither was most of the offense as Stanford turns it over, down 13-0 in the 2nd quarter.: 29 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Ogwumike wins Pac-12 Woman of the Year

Stanford women’s basketball player Chiney Ogwumike on Wednesday earned the Pac-12 Woman of the Year award, becoming only the second Stanford athlete to receive the honor since its inception in 2006. By receiving the honor, Ogwumike received an automatic nomination for the NCAA Woman of the Year award.

(BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Chiney Ogwumike (center) led her team on and off the court to win Pac-12 Woman of the Year. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Ogwumike finished her bachelors degree in international relations this past winter and began training with a different “S” on her jersey when she was drafted as the first pick overall to the Connecticut Sun in the WNBA draft.

Stanford’s most decorated women’s basketball player ended her career on the Farm with the John R. Wooden Award for national player of the year, while also earning Pac-12 Player and Defensive Player of the Year honors. Ogwumike helped lead her Cardinal squad to its sixth Final Four appearance in seven years, averaging 26.1 ppg, 12.1 rpg and a 60 percent shooting percentage this past season. In addition, the All-American ended her career on the Farm as the Pac-12’s (and thereby Stanford’s) all-time leading scorer and rebounder. Off the court, she won the Pac-12 Scholar Athlete of the Year award and was named the 2014 Capital One Academic All-American of the Year.

The Pac-12 Woman of the Year honor is given to a graduating student-athlete who has excelled through academic achievement, athletic excellence, community service and leadership. In addition to being a full-time student and athlete, Ogwumike managed to travel abroad to Nigeria to intern with the Nigerian Ministry of Petroleum, while also working for the charity “Access 2 Success” to raise funds for building new basketball courts for local Nigerian youth.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.