RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Another Stanford header off of a corner goes wide: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Edwards for Skundrich: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford really lacking the last ball: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike wins Pac-12 Woman of the Year

Stanford women’s basketball player Chiney Ogwumike on Wednesday earned the Pac-12 Woman of the Year award, becoming only the second Stanford athlete to receive the honor since its inception in 2006. By receiving the honor, Ogwumike received an automatic nomination for the NCAA Woman of the Year award.

(BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Chiney Ogwumike (center) led her team on and off the court to win Pac-12 Woman of the Year. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Ogwumike finished her bachelors degree in international relations this past winter and began training with a different “S” on her jersey when she was drafted as the first pick overall to the Connecticut Sun in the WNBA draft.

Stanford’s most decorated women’s basketball player ended her career on the Farm with the John R. Wooden Award for national player of the year, while also earning Pac-12 Player and Defensive Player of the Year honors. Ogwumike helped lead her Cardinal squad to its sixth Final Four appearance in seven years, averaging 26.1 ppg, 12.1 rpg and a 60 percent shooting percentage this past season. In addition, the All-American ended her career on the Farm as the Pac-12’s (and thereby Stanford’s) all-time leading scorer and rebounder. Off the court, she won the Pac-12 Scholar Athlete of the Year award and was named the 2014 Capital One Academic All-American of the Year.

The Pac-12 Woman of the Year honor is given to a graduating student-athlete who has excelled through academic achievement, athletic excellence, community service and leadership. In addition to being a full-time student and athlete, Ogwumike managed to travel abroad to Nigeria to intern with the Nigerian Ministry of Petroleum, while also working for the charity “Access 2 Success” to raise funds for building new basketball courts for local Nigerian youth.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.