Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 19 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 19 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 19 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Softball head coach John Rittman resigns

Stanford softball head coach John Rittman has resigned his position after leading the Cardinal for 18 seasons. The announcement was made by Stanford Athletic Director Bernard Muir on Monday.

Both before and after Rittman’s resignation, there have been allegations on social media of wrongdoing on the coach’s part.

(SHIRLEY PEFLEY/StanfordPhoto)

An 18 year tenure came to end Monday when Stanford softball head coach, John Rittman, resigned. He led the Card to 16 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances during his time on the Farm. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/StanfordPhoto)

Associate Vice President for University Communications Lisa Lapin said Monday that the University was unable to comment on personnel matters.

Rittman became the second head coach in program history in 1997. Tasked with establishing the Card’s position among the elite in the nation’s premier softball conference, Rittman helped the Cardinal to its first 30-win season in his first year. From there, the Stanford softball program rose to the top of the college softball landscape, with the Card making 16 consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament from 1998 through 2013.

Stanford reached the Women’s College World Series, the pinnacle of collegiate softball, twice under Rittman’s leadership in 2001 and 2004; the Cardinal made it to the semifinals of the World Series in both trips to Oklahoma City, falling to powerhouses Arizona and UCLA, respectively. After the introduction of a three-round NCAA tournament in 2005, the Card also qualified for five Super Regionals in a seven-year stretch from 2005 through 2011.

However, since a loss in the 2011 Super Regional to Alabama, Stanford has not been able to advance past the regional round of the NCAA tournament. At least a half-dozen players have left the team since 2011, hurting the Card’s depth. The 2014 softball season was a particularly trying campaign for the Cardinal players, as a transfer, an injury and a medical leave decimated the pitching rotation.

In the summer before the start of the 2014 season, then-rising sophomore Kelsey Stevens transferred to Oklahoma. Stanford’s staff was further depleted by a season-ending injury to freshman Carley Hoover, which cut short her season after only eight games. Finally, junior Nyree White left the squad to take a medical leave of absence in early February.

In the end, the Cardinal could not overcome these roster losses, stumbling to their worst season in nearly two decades. In the process, Stanford missed the postseason for the first time since 1997. The Card also finished without a conference series win for the first time since 1995. For a program accustomed to success, the recent downturn has left supporters of the team searching for answers.

The softball program will conduct a national search to find a new head coach for the 2015 season.

Contact David Cohn at dmcohn ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About David Cohn

David Cohn '15 is currently a Sports Desk Editor. He began his tenure at the Daily by serving as a senior staff writer for Stanford football and softball, and then rose to the position of assistant editor of staff development. He served as the Summer Managing Editor of Sports in 2014. David is a Biology major from Poway, California. In addition to his duties at the Daily, he serves as the lead play-by-play football and softball announcer for KZSU Live Stanford Radio 90.1 FM.