79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Whitlinger retires as men’s tennis head coach

Stanford men’s tennis head coach John Whitlinger announced his retirement from his position on Thursday after 10 seasons at the helm of the program.

John Whitlinger (right) retired Thursday as Stanford's Men's Tennis coach after a 10-year run leading the program. During this stretch, Whitlinger compiled a .867 winning percentage, and helped the Cardinal notch eight consecutive postseason appearances. (DAVID GONZALES/ The Stanford Daily)

John Whitlinger (right) retired Thursday as Stanford’s men’s tennis coach after a 10-year run leading the program. During this stretch, Whitlinger compiled a .867 winning percentage, and helped the Cardinal notch seven consecutive postseason appearances. (DAVID GONZALES/ The Stanford Daily)

After he took the reins of the program in 2005 following the retirement of Dick Gould, the Cardinal compiled a 160-85 overall record and reached the NCAA tournament in nine seasons, including in seven consecutive years from 2008-2014.

“Being able to coach at a place you’ve played is really a dream come true,” Whitlinger told GoStanford.com. “It’s been a great ride and I want to thank everyone that’s been a part of it, especially the players and coaches I’ve worked with over the years. It’s been an honor to coach at such an outstanding university and athletic program and while it’s difficult to step away, I’m looking forward to new beginnings.”

Before he was elevated to the head coaching post, Whitlinger had been the associate head coach for 18 seasons, a period in which the Cardinal won nine NCAA titles. In addition, he had previously spent his collegiate playing career at Stanford, where he was awarded All-America honors in both 1974 and 1975. In that 1974 season, he was key to the Cardinal’s success, as he led the team to an NCAA title while also winning both the singles and doubles national titles.

“John has been an integral part of our tennis family for more than 40 years and we have benefited from his accomplishments as an NCAA champion student-athlete and coach,” athletic director Bernard Muir told GoStanford. “We appreciate his service over these past 10 years as our head coach and wish him luck in this next chapter of life.”

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.