RT @StanfordFH: What a comeback by the Card! After going down 2-0, Stanford rallies for 3 unanswered goals to get the W! #GoStanford: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@StanfordWVB sweeps Minnesota to cap off a 2-0 opening weekend. Big tests next week vs. current No. 1 PSU and No. 8 Ill. at State College: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford block coming up big today: 5 in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd set so far. Card up 19-17 in the second set, up 1-0 in the match.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Langsdorf's header is saved and that'll do it. Santa Barbara defeats @StanfordMSoccer 1-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Bashti has a header go just wide. Only a minute left.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Whitlinger retires as men’s tennis head coach

Stanford men’s tennis head coach John Whitlinger announced his retirement from his position on Thursday after 10 seasons at the helm of the program.

John Whitlinger (right) retired Thursday as Stanford's Men's Tennis coach after a 10-year run leading the program. During this stretch, Whitlinger compiled a .867 winning percentage, and helped the Cardinal notch eight consecutive postseason appearances. (DAVID GONZALES/ The Stanford Daily)

John Whitlinger (right) retired Thursday as Stanford’s men’s tennis coach after a 10-year run leading the program. During this stretch, Whitlinger compiled a .867 winning percentage, and helped the Cardinal notch seven consecutive postseason appearances. (DAVID GONZALES/ The Stanford Daily)

After he took the reins of the program in 2005 following the retirement of Dick Gould, the Cardinal compiled a 160-85 overall record and reached the NCAA tournament in nine seasons, including in seven consecutive years from 2008-2014.

“Being able to coach at a place you’ve played is really a dream come true,” Whitlinger told GoStanford.com. “It’s been a great ride and I want to thank everyone that’s been a part of it, especially the players and coaches I’ve worked with over the years. It’s been an honor to coach at such an outstanding university and athletic program and while it’s difficult to step away, I’m looking forward to new beginnings.”

Before he was elevated to the head coaching post, Whitlinger had been the associate head coach for 18 seasons, a period in which the Cardinal won nine NCAA titles. In addition, he had previously spent his collegiate playing career at Stanford, where he was awarded All-America honors in both 1974 and 1975. In that 1974 season, he was key to the Cardinal’s success, as he led the team to an NCAA title while also winning both the singles and doubles national titles.

“John has been an integral part of our tennis family for more than 40 years and we have benefited from his accomplishments as an NCAA champion student-athlete and coach,” athletic director Bernard Muir told GoStanford. “We appreciate his service over these past 10 years as our head coach and wish him luck in this next chapter of life.”

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a Managing Editor of Staff Development, lead football writer and copy editor at The Stanford Daily. He also writes about Stanford football for Sports Illustrated's new college football site, Campus Rush. In his three years, he has written primarily football, baseball, soccer, tennis, swimming and water polo, and has covered a Rose Bowl, a Super Regional run and three national championships. Do-Hyoung is a senior that is obnoxiously proud of being from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.