79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford earns postseason berth, heads to Bloomington (Ind.) Regional

After doing all it could in the second half to make its case for the postseason, Stanford baseball saw its efforts come to fruition on Monday morning when it heard its name called by the NCAA selection committee. The Cardinal will be headed to an NCAA Regional for the fourth time in five years and for the 29th time in program history, clinching a ticket to the Bloomington, Indiana Regional as the No. 3 seed in a quartet that features host and fourth overall seed Indiana.

(BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

The season’s not yet over for senior first baseman Danny Diekroeger (left) and company, who learned that they would be moving on to the NCAA Bloomington Regional after a strong second-half push that kept their season alive. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

In their regional, the Cardinal will first face off against second-seeded Indiana State (35-16, 14-7 Missouri Valley), which finished second in the MVC to earn an at-large bid. Aside from Big Ten champion Indiana (42-13-1, 21-3 Big Ten), the Cardinal’s bracket also features fourth-seeded Youngstown State (16-36, 6-17 Horizon League), which automatically made the cut as the Horizon League Tournament champions despite its ugly record and its last-place finish in its conference during the regular season.

Stanford will kick off its latest postseason run on Friday in the first-to-three-wins, double-elimination regional against the Sycamores, Hoosiers and Penguins with the winner advancing to the Super Regional to face the winner of the Nashville Regional, which features Vanderbilt, Xavier, Clemson and Oregon.

In order to qualify, the Cardinal had a strong second half after a mediocre first half to their regular season, finishing 19-7 in their last 26 games, including series wins on each of the final four weekends, to become the fifth and final team in the Pac-12 to be named to the field of 64. Stanford joins top overall seed Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona State and Washington as qualifiers from its conference.

In their last qualification for the NCAA Tournament, the Cardinal were the No. 1 seed in their regional and qualified for the Super Regional with three wins over Fresno State and Pepperdine before suffering a combined 35-8 drubbing at the hands of third overall seed Florida State.

Stanford has not played any of the teams in its regional since 1959.

The Cardinal will kick off postseason play at 11 a.m. against Indiana State in Bloomington, with the winner of the game moving on to face the winner of the 4 p.m. Indiana-Youngstown State matchup and the loser going on to face its losing counterpart.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027@stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.
  • randyalbin

is coach marquess still doing all of this? there are great teams that won many times. as fans, follow all the action. root them onto one more championship