RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford earns postseason berth, heads to Bloomington (Ind.) Regional

After doing all it could in the second half to make its case for the postseason, Stanford baseball saw its efforts come to fruition on Monday morning when it heard its name called by the NCAA selection committee. The Cardinal will be headed to an NCAA Regional for the fourth time in five years and for the 29th time in program history, clinching a ticket to the Bloomington, Indiana Regional as the No. 3 seed in a quartet that features host and fourth overall seed Indiana.

(BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

The season’s not yet over for senior first baseman Danny Diekroeger (left) and company, who learned that they would be moving on to the NCAA Bloomington Regional after a strong second-half push that kept their season alive. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

In their regional, the Cardinal will first face off against second-seeded Indiana State (35-16, 14-7 Missouri Valley), which finished second in the MVC to earn an at-large bid. Aside from Big Ten champion Indiana (42-13-1, 21-3 Big Ten), the Cardinal’s bracket also features fourth-seeded Youngstown State (16-36, 6-17 Horizon League), which automatically made the cut as the Horizon League Tournament champions despite its ugly record and its last-place finish in its conference during the regular season.

Stanford will kick off its latest postseason run on Friday in the first-to-three-wins, double-elimination regional against the Sycamores, Hoosiers and Penguins with the winner advancing to the Super Regional to face the winner of the Nashville Regional, which features Vanderbilt, Xavier, Clemson and Oregon.

In order to qualify, the Cardinal had a strong second half after a mediocre first half to their regular season, finishing 19-7 in their last 26 games, including series wins on each of the final four weekends, to become the fifth and final team in the Pac-12 to be named to the field of 64. Stanford joins top overall seed Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona State and Washington as qualifiers from its conference.

In their last qualification for the NCAA Tournament, the Cardinal were the No. 1 seed in their regional and qualified for the Super Regional with three wins over Fresno State and Pepperdine before suffering a combined 35-8 drubbing at the hands of third overall seed Florida State.

Stanford has not played any of the teams in its regional since 1959.

The Cardinal will kick off postseason play at 11 a.m. against Indiana State in Bloomington, with the winner of the game moving on to face the winner of the 4 p.m. Indiana-Youngstown State matchup and the loser going on to face its losing counterpart.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027@stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. However, his allegiance still lies with the sports section, of which he was at the helm before yielding to a peaceful transition of power to Ashley Westhem. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.
  • randyalbin

is coach marquess still doing all of this? there are great teams that won many times. as fans, follow all the action. root them onto one more championship