RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s golf slows down at NCAA Championships

After moving up into seventh following Wednesday’s second round, the 12th-seeded Stanford women’s golf team slipped out of the top 10 on Thursday, finding itself in 14th at the NCAA Championships. The Cardinal turned in the third-worst Thursday score in the 24-squad field, posting a 14-over 294 at the Tulsa Country Club. In the individual competition, sophomore Lauren Kim is in a three-way tie for third, with classmate Mariah Stackhouse now sitting outside the top 25 in a tie for 27th.

Mariah Stackhouse (above) took a step back at the NCAA finals on Thursday, with three back nine bogeys on Par 4's en route to a 4-over 74. Stackhouse now stands in a tie for 27th place.

Sophomore Mariah Stackhouse (above) took a step back at the NCAA finals on Thursday, with three back nine bogeys on par-4s en route to a 4-over 74. Stackhouse now stands in a tie for 27th place. (NICK SALAZAR/The Stanford Daily)

The third round began incredibly well for Anne Walker’s quintet, which vaulted into a tie for third by virtue of completing its first nine holes with a cumulative 1-over score. Stanford was particularly successful on the par-5 16th hole, recording two eagles, two birdies and a par. However, the group was unable to sustain its torrid pace in the latter half of the round, shooting 13-over and tumbling down the team leaderboard. Kim, who took the individual lead with a birdie on the par-4 18th, went 3-over on her back nine, with three bogeys and a double bogey dragging down her performance. Nevertheless, Kim is still within striking distance of the leaders and sits only three strokes back.

Stackhouse was unable to replicate her strong second round, posting three bogeys on the six par-4s on the back nine en route to a 4-over 74. Her T-27th position is ahead of her 29th-place finish at last year’s championships. If the statistics are any indication, Stackhouse should finish strong in today’s final round, given her 72.42 final round scoring average this season.

The core of the Cardinal’s issues in Tulsa, however, has been their inability to produce solid third and fourth scores. Freshman Casey Danielson—who showed incredible promise during the spring season and certainly has a bright future on the Farm—has not played up to her potential with rounds of 79-72-74. In addition, although senior Marissa Mar has improved her score with each successive day, she is currently tied for 116th in the 126-woman field. Finally, junior Mariko Tumangan is still mired in a slump, in which she has not cracked the top 30 in any spring event.

Today’s final round begins at 5 a.m., with Stanford teeing off between 5:55 and 6:39. Live scoring is available on NCAA.com.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 245 and is the men's and women's golf writer. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.