RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Darrin Nelson to be inducted to College Football Hall of Fame

Former Stanford running back Darrin Nelson has been selected to the 2014 class of the College Football Hall of Fame, the National Football Foundation announced Thursday.

Nelson, the 18th Stanford player to be elected to the Hall of Fame, was a four-time All-Pac-10 selection and first team All-American. During his Stanford career that spanned from 1977-81, Nelson rushed for 4,033 yards, while also setting what was then an NCAA record with 6,885 career all-purpose yards. Nelson finished with more than 1,000 rushing yards and 50 receptions in three seasons, becoming the first player in college football to achieve this distinction even once.

After his Stanford career, Nelson enjoyed a successful 11-year career in the National Football League, in which he spent nine seasons with the Vikings and two seasons with the Chargers before retiring at the conclusion of the 1992 season. Nelson then returned to Stanford, spending 15 years as a member of the administration.

Nelson will be honored at a National Football Foundation dinner on Dec. 9 in New York City.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. However, his allegiance still lies with the sports section, of which he was at the helm before yielding to a peaceful transition of power to Ashley Westhem. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.