Darrin Nelson to be inducted to College Football Hall of Fame

Former Stanford running back Darrin Nelson has been selected to the 2014 class of the College Football Hall of Fame, the National Football Foundation announced Thursday.

Nelson, the 18th Stanford player to be elected to the Hall of Fame, was a four-time All-Pac-10 selection and first team All-American. During his Stanford career that spanned from 1977-81, Nelson rushed for 4,033 yards, while also setting what was then an NCAA record with 6,885 career all-purpose yards. Nelson finished with more than 1,000 rushing yards and 50 receptions in three seasons, becoming the first player in college football to achieve this distinction even once.

After his Stanford career, Nelson enjoyed a successful 11-year career in the National Football League, in which he spent nine seasons with the Vikings and two seasons with the Chargers before retiring at the conclusion of the 1992 season. Nelson then returned to Stanford, spending 15 years as a member of the administration.

Nelson will be honored at a National Football Foundation dinner on Dec. 9 in New York City.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a sports desk editor, copy editor and angry uncle that leads The Daily's football coverage. Do-Hyoung is a proud three-time winner of the "Least Likely to Actually Have Friends Outside The Daily" Award and spends most of his free time being a thorn in the sports editors' side while they attempt to do actual work. He is the Stanford correspondent for Sports Illustrated's Campus Rush, will cover the Twins for MLB.com this summer and is a senior from St. Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. Contact him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.
  • John Van Ruiten

I used to watch Darrin when he played for our high school Alma Mater, Pius X in Downey, Ca. One of the most exciting players I’ve ever seen. He was fun to watch.