RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AndyLucksBeard: I hear Marcus Mariota is taking golf & yoga this quarter. My senior year was more demanding, and I'm just a beard. #go…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Tough blow for former Stanford football/baseball star Tyler Gaffney w/ season-ending knee injury (via @SteveReedAP) http:/…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Darrin Nelson to be inducted to College Football Hall of Fame

Former Stanford running back Darrin Nelson has been selected to the 2014 class of the College Football Hall of Fame, the National Football Foundation announced Thursday.

Nelson, the 18th Stanford player to be elected to the Hall of Fame, was a four-time All-Pac-10 selection and first team All-American. During his Stanford career that spanned from 1977-81, Nelson rushed for 4,033 yards, while also setting what was then an NCAA record with 6,885 career all-purpose yards. Nelson finished with more than 1,000 rushing yards and 50 receptions in three seasons, becoming the first player in college football to achieve this distinction even once.

After his Stanford career, Nelson enjoyed a successful 11-year career in the National Football League, in which he spent nine seasons with the Vikings and two seasons with the Chargers before retiring at the conclusion of the 1992 season. Nelson then returned to Stanford, spending 15 years as a member of the administration.

Nelson will be honored at a National Football Foundation dinner on Dec. 9 in New York City.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. Even though he is finally able to get into R-rated movies now, he instead chooses to spend his time writing half the sports section every week. Do-Hyoung is a sophomore originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.