79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ahn, Zhao advance to NCAA round of 16 in both singles and doubles

Success came in bunches for senior Kristie Ahn and freshman Carol Zhao at the NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships on Thursday, with both winning their singles matches before pairing up to advance to the second round of the doubles tournament later in the afternoon.

Senior Kristie Ahn (above) earned All-American honors in singles and doubles for the second consecutive season on Thursday in Athens, Georgia. Ahn improved to 29-4 in singles for the 2013-2014 season with a straight sets victory in  the Second Round. (LARRY GE / / SONY DSC)

Senior Kristie Ahn (above) earned All-America honors in singles and doubles for the second consecutive season on Thursday in Athens, Georgia. Ahn improved to 29-4 in singles for the 2013-2014 season with a straight sets victory in the Second Round. (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily)

After an easy victory over Virginia’s Stephanie Nauta in the first round, Ahn kept the ball rolling with another 6-4, 6-2 straight-set victory, this time over No. 38 Kyle Phillips of UCLA. In addition, the 21st-ranked Zhao pulled off a stunner with a straight-set victory over the nation’s sixth-ranked player in Lauren Herring, who was playing on her home court and entered the match with a 30-5 record. By winning, Ahn and Zhao guaranteed themselves All-America honors.

Ranked No. 10 in the nation in doubles, Ahn and Zhao faltered briefly in the first set before roaring back for a three-set win over Louisville’s Julia Fellerhoff and Rebecca Shine in the first round of the doubles bracket.

The remaining members of Stanford’s team that had advanced past the first round of the singles draw—freshmen Taylor Davidson and Caroline Doyle and sophomore Krista Hardebeck—did not have as easy of a time on Thursday, with all three taking losses to higher-ranked opponents to drop out of the tournament.

Ahn will now advance to take on No. 23 Zsofi Susanyi of California, while Zhao will match up against No. 13 Chanelle Van Nguyen of UCLA. As a doubles pair, the duo will face No. 8 Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno of Miami (FL) in the next round.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.