RT @StanfordWTennis: Follow @Gibbsyyyy on Saturday in @usopen third round against No. 11 seed Flavia Pennetta. 8 a.m. PT, first match insid…: 54 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @StanfordWVB 3, @CycloneVB 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-19). Card wins its season opener for the 6th straight year #gostanfo: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @Pac12Networks: Two goals? No. 12 @StanfordFH's Lauren Becker did that in the 4-0 win over No. 18 @delawarefh on Friday. Interview: http…: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Long rally ends in a kill by Howard from the back row! 6-4 Card in the 3rd #gostanford #AVCAShowcase: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Get ready RT @dohyoungpark: If S. Carolina loses today, @StanfordFB will have longest active home win streak in the country (16) #TAMUvsSC: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Big day for Stanford athletes -- @Gibbsyyyy wins again at the US Open, @Chiney321 is WNBA ROY, and @JmoSmooth13 named to USMNT roster: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ahn, Zhao advance to NCAA round of 16 in both singles and doubles

Success came in bunches for senior Kristie Ahn and freshman Carol Zhao at the NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships on Thursday, with both winning their singles matches before pairing up to advance to the second round of the doubles tournament later in the afternoon.

Senior Kristie Ahn (above) earned All-American honors in singles and doubles for the second consecutive season on Thursday in Athens, Georgia. Ahn improved to 29-4 in singles for the 2013-2014 season with a straight sets victory in  the Second Round. (LARRY GE / / SONY DSC)

Senior Kristie Ahn (above) earned All-America honors in singles and doubles for the second consecutive season on Thursday in Athens, Georgia. Ahn improved to 29-4 in singles for the 2013-2014 season with a straight sets victory in the Second Round. (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily)

After an easy victory over Virginia’s Stephanie Nauta in the first round, Ahn kept the ball rolling with another 6-4, 6-2 straight-set victory, this time over No. 38 Kyle Phillips of UCLA. In addition, the 21st-ranked Zhao pulled off a stunner with a straight-set victory over the nation’s sixth-ranked player in Lauren Herring, who was playing on her home court and entered the match with a 30-5 record. By winning, Ahn and Zhao guaranteed themselves All-America honors.

Ranked No. 10 in the nation in doubles, Ahn and Zhao faltered briefly in the first set before roaring back for a three-set win over Louisville’s Julia Fellerhoff and Rebecca Shine in the first round of the doubles bracket.

The remaining members of Stanford’s team that had advanced past the first round of the singles draw—freshmen Taylor Davidson and Caroline Doyle and sophomore Krista Hardebeck—did not have as easy of a time on Thursday, with all three taking losses to higher-ranked opponents to drop out of the tournament.

Ahn will now advance to take on No. 23 Zsofi Susanyi of California, while Zhao will match up against No. 13 Chanelle Van Nguyen of UCLA. As a doubles pair, the duo will face No. 8 Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno of Miami (FL) in the next round.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. However, his allegiance still lies with the sports section, of which he was at the helm before yielding to a peaceful transition of power to Ashley Westhem. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.