Stanford archaeologist wins Amy J. Blue Award

Stanford archaeologist Laura Jones is one of three Stanford faculty members to win the Amy J. Blue Award. As director of heritage services and special projects, Jones has been celebrated as “a champion of all things Stanford” and for setting a high ethical benchmark in the care of tribal remains.

Jones was recognized by President John Hennessy in a ceremony on May 21, in the courtyard of Lagunita Court.

The program staff of the Native American Cultural Center wrote on behalf of its members that Jones has left a “deep and widespread footprint” at Stanford. Further, Jones was not only an advocate of preserving ancient archaeological sites, but also of constructing buildings anew.

“We also have a goal our leadership as a world-class university,” Jones said. “To achieve that goal, we want to build a new hospital, to build a new chemistry building or to be better stewards of the creek. It’s my role to see that we respect important archaeological and historic sites and that our stewardship of those sites is rewarded when we get permits for our construction projects.”

Peter is currently a deputy desk editor and a freshman majoring in economics (anticipated). He enjoys soccer, basketball, and fitness.