79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Patrick Rodgers wins Ben Hogan Award

In a move that surprised few in the golf world, Stanford junior Patrick Rodgers was awarded the coveted Ben Hogan Award on Sunday, the highest honor for an American amateur collegian. The Ben Hogan Award has been handed out annually since its inception in 1990 and its namesake is one of the great American golfing pioneers. It is meant to honor “the outstanding male amateur and collegiate golfer of the year” and is sponsored by Colonial Country Club (where the award ceremony was held), the Friends of Golf and the Golf Coaches Association of America.

Junior (CASEY VALENTINE/isiphotos.com)

Junior Patrick Rodgers (above) was awarded the coveted Ben Hogan Award on Sunday, the highest honor for an American amateur collegian. (CASEY VALENTINE/isiphotos.com)

Rodgers, who announced in March his intention to turn professional at the end of the spring season, has had a truly outstanding campaign that has included six individual wins and nine top-10 tournament finishes. The Avon, Indiana, native really started to turn the corner when the team returned for the spring portion of its schedule, which has seen him rattle off five wins in his last six starts while placing second in the other. He claimed medalist honors at the Pac-12 Championships — an effort for which he was awarded Pac-12 Player of the Year — and also at the recent NCAA Eugene Regional. As a finalist for the award in 2012 as well, Rodgers heads into this week’s NCAA Championships as one of the favorites for the individual crown.

Stanford senior Cameron Wilson, the sixth-ranked amateur golfer in the world, was also a finalist and accompanied Rodgers and Cardinal head coach Conrad Ray to Fort Worth, Texas, for the festivities. Wilson, who has recorded top-10 individual finishes in all but one event this season, has been an impeccably steady performer in Ray’s lineup for much of the past three seasons. Preparing to graduate with a degree in history in June, Wilson too plans to turn professional sometime this summer and take the next steps toward earning PGA Tour status.

In addition to the notoriety and hardware, Rodgers was given a sponsor exemption to next year’s PGA Tour Colonial event and $25,000 to be used by the men’s golf program. By virtue of being a finalist, Wilson also earned $12,500 for Ray’s squad.

Contact Cameron Miller at cmiller6 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 246 and is the men's and women's golf writer. He also writes on NCAA-related matters. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.