RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Olympic gold medalist Katie Ledecky commits to Stanford

It was announced last Thursday that 2012 Olympic gold medalist and four-time world champion swimmer Katie Ledecky has verbally committed to attend Stanford instead of turning professional after graduating from high school.

“I am thrilled to announce that upon completion of my high school education, I am committed to pursue my education at Stanford and very much look forward to the opportunity to swim for the Stanford Cardinal women’s team in NCAA competition,” said Ledecky in a news release. “I am very excited about the educational opportunities that will be available to me at Stanford and to swim for its great NCAA program under the leadership of coach Greg Meehan and assistant coach Tracy Duchac.”

The 17-year-old Ledecky burst onto the international scene at the 2012 London Olympics, when she competed as the youngest athlete on the United States’ team as a 15-year-old and became the youngest ever winner of the 800-yard freestyle, in which she narrowly missed the world record by 0.5 seconds.

Since then, she has made a name for herself as one of the best distance swimmers on the planet and is the current world record holder in both the 800 free and 1,500 free. She also holds the American record in the 400 free. Those times came in a spectacular performance at the 2013 World Aquatics Championships, for which she earned Swimming World Magazine’s American Swimmer of the Year and World Swimmer of the Year awards.

At Stanford, she will join her Team USA teammate, current freshman Lia Neal, on the women’s swimming team.

Contact Do-Hyong Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.