Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Sam Werner with a great look that goes just wide. Less than 15 to play in regulation.: 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Both teams trading opportunities here at Cagan, though Stanford still has 7-4 shot, 2-0 corner advantage in second half.: 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Men’s rowing earns fourth-place finish at Pac-12s

The No. 12 Stanford men’s rowing team just barely missed the third-place finish that it had strived for at the Pac-12 Rowing Championships last weekend at Lake Natoma, California, getting edged out by two points by the third-place team, No. 14 Oregon State. The Cardinal ended up finishing in fourth.

Stanford’s 1V8 boat (above) captured a third-place finish in the Pac-12 Rowing Championships on Sunday, qualifying it for the IRA National Championship. The boat got off to a quick start in the first 500 meters and were able to hold off Oregon State for the remainder of the race. (ASHLEY WESTHEM/The Stanford Daily)

“The goal was to get third place,” said head coach Craig Amerkhanian. “Every member of our program raced today so that was great. Unfortunately, we had two boats get outsprinted and that was tough. We have a lot of work to do to get ready for nationals.”

Heavy favorites and the traditional rowing powerhouses of the West Coast, No. 1 Washington and No. 2 California took first and second overall.

Stanford, however, did medal in the 1V8 event, bringing home a bronze and qualifying the team for the Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) National Championship. The Cardinal got out to a quick start with a 1:24.42 split in the first 500 meters, as they jumped to third behind Cal and Washington and were able to hold off Oregon State for the remainder of the race.

“We were pretty serious underdogs coming in to the race,” said senior Austin Hack. “We wanted to come out and go as hard as we could and stick with it. We had a really good first 500 meters and then it was just staying in third to lock up a qualify spot for IRAs.”

The 2V8 and frosh eight narrowly missed out on third place finishes themselves, instead each placing fourth after allowing Oregon State to sprint past them in both races in the final 500 meters despite sitting in third for the majority of the race.

On the upside, head coach Craig Amerkhanian was able to give more rowers competition time on the water by fielding a varsity four boat for the first time this spring. The varsity four finished fifth in the event.

“The varsity four was just put together so great racing by those guys,” Amerkhanian said. “I am really proud of those guys.”

The men will continue to work on different lineups and improve on last weekend’s performances in preparations for the IRA National Championships. Both the 1V8 and 2V8 boats qualified for the championships. The regatta begins Friday, May 30 in West Windsor, New Jersey.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem currently is the Editor in Chief after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.