79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Miscues and sloppy passing from Stanford cue another BYU run, and the lead is back to 9 at 68-59 with 6 minutes to go.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s rowing earns fourth-place finish at Pac-12s

The No. 12 Stanford men’s rowing team just barely missed the third-place finish that it had strived for at the Pac-12 Rowing Championships last weekend at Lake Natoma, California, getting edged out by two points by the third-place team, No. 14 Oregon State. The Cardinal ended up finishing in fourth.

SPO.052114.mrow

Stanford’s 1V8 boat (above) captured a third-place finish in the Pac-12 Rowing Championships on Sunday, qualifying it for the IRA National Championship. The boat got off to a quick start in the first 500 meters and were able to hold off Oregon State for the remainder of the race. (ASHLEY WESTHEM/The Stanford Daily)

“The goal was to get third place,” said head coach Craig Amerkhanian. “Every member of our program raced today so that was great. Unfortunately, we had two boats get outsprinted and that was tough. We have a lot of work to do to get ready for nationals.”

Heavy favorites and the traditional rowing powerhouses of the West Coast, No. 1 Washington and No. 2 California took first and second overall.

Stanford, however, did medal in the 1V8 event, bringing home a bronze and qualifying the team for the Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) National Championship. The Cardinal got out to a quick start with a 1:24.42 split in the first 500 meters, as they jumped to third behind Cal and Washington and were able to hold off Oregon State for the remainder of the race.

“We were pretty serious underdogs coming in to the race,” said senior Austin Hack. “We wanted to come out and go as hard as we could and stick with it. We had a really good first 500 meters and then it was just staying in third to lock up a qualify spot for IRAs.”

The 2V8 and frosh eight narrowly missed out on third place finishes themselves, instead each placing fourth after allowing Oregon State to sprint past them in both races in the final 500 meters despite sitting in third for the majority of the race.

On the upside, head coach Craig Amerkhanian was able to give more rowers competition time on the water by fielding a varsity four boat for the first time this spring. The varsity four finished fifth in the event.

“The varsity four was just put together so great racing by those guys,” Amerkhanian said. “I am really proud of those guys.”

The men will continue to work on different lineups and improve on last weekend’s performances in preparations for the IRA National Championships. Both the 1V8 and 2V8 boats qualified for the championships. The regatta begins Friday, May 30 in West Windsor, New Jersey.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.