Stanford at 11th in the first coaches poll of the season.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s rowing earns fourth-place finish at Pac-12s

The No. 12 Stanford men’s rowing team just barely missed the third-place finish that it had strived for at the Pac-12 Rowing Championships last weekend at Lake Natoma, California, getting edged out by two points by the third-place team, No. 14 Oregon State. The Cardinal ended up finishing in fourth.

SPO.052114.mrow

Stanford’s 1V8 boat (above) captured a third-place finish in the Pac-12 Rowing Championships on Sunday, qualifying it for the IRA National Championship. The boat got off to a quick start in the first 500 meters and were able to hold off Oregon State for the remainder of the race. (ASHLEY WESTHEM/The Stanford Daily)

“The goal was to get third place,” said head coach Craig Amerkhanian. “Every member of our program raced today so that was great. Unfortunately, we had two boats get outsprinted and that was tough. We have a lot of work to do to get ready for nationals.”

Heavy favorites and the traditional rowing powerhouses of the West Coast, No. 1 Washington and No. 2 California took first and second overall.

Stanford, however, did medal in the 1V8 event, bringing home a bronze and qualifying the team for the Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) National Championship. The Cardinal got out to a quick start with a 1:24.42 split in the first 500 meters, as they jumped to third behind Cal and Washington and were able to hold off Oregon State for the remainder of the race.

“We were pretty serious underdogs coming in to the race,” said senior Austin Hack. “We wanted to come out and go as hard as we could and stick with it. We had a really good first 500 meters and then it was just staying in third to lock up a qualify spot for IRAs.”

The 2V8 and frosh eight narrowly missed out on third place finishes themselves, instead each placing fourth after allowing Oregon State to sprint past them in both races in the final 500 meters despite sitting in third for the majority of the race.

On the upside, head coach Craig Amerkhanian was able to give more rowers competition time on the water by fielding a varsity four boat for the first time this spring. The varsity four finished fifth in the event.

“The varsity four was just put together so great racing by those guys,” Amerkhanian said. “I am really proud of those guys.”

The men will continue to work on different lineups and improve on last weekend’s performances in preparations for the IRA National Championships. Both the 1V8 and 2V8 boats qualified for the championships. The regatta begins Friday, May 30 in West Windsor, New Jersey.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and plans to take over as Managing Editor of Sports next volume and aid in KZSU’s coverage of football. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.