Julian Castro ’96 reported to be tapped as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development

Obama intends to nominate Stanford alumnus as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro ’96 has reportedly been tapped by President Barack Obama as the next Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Castro has led an active political career since leaving Stanford. At 26, after graduating from Harvard Law School, he became the youngest councilman ever elected in San Antonio. Now, at age 39, the three-term officer serves as the youngest mayor of a major American city.

During his time in office, Castro has worked for the expansion of pre-kindergarten education and the revitalization of downtown San Antonio. He has also spoken out in favor of same-sex marriage and affirmative action, crediting the latter as a factor that allowed him admission to Stanford.

Castro’s work in San Antonio has generally been well received and he has even been rumored as a potential vice presidential candidate in 2016.

If nominated, Castro will replace current HUD secretary Shaun Donovan, who is said to be heading to the Office of Management and Budget.

Political Ticker reported, however, that a formal announcement may still be several weeks away as the White House is still in the process of vetting Castro.

In response to the speculations, the White House said, “We have no personnel announcements at this time.”