RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Both Hooper and Cotton have made nice catches in the middle of the field today. Could be a huge help to Hogan as season progresses.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Another step towards a title for women’s lightweight rowing

No. 2 Stanford lightweight rowing took care of business at the Pacific Coast Rowing (PCRC) Championships on Saturday — one more step towards its ultimate goal of repeating its title at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championships.

The Cardinal competed with two boats in the Open 8+ race and ended up taking first and second in the event. The Stanford A boat finished an astonishing 50.3 seconds ahead of the B boat, which beat third-place Colorado by 25.6 seconds. For the varsity eight, it was its eighth win of the spring season and fifth consecutive victory.

Stanford women's lightweight rowing took another step towards its goal of an NCAA title by winning the PCRC Championships. (ASHLEY WESTHEM/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford women’s lightweight rowing (above) took another step towards its goal of an IRA Championship by winning the PCRC Championships over the weekend. (ASHLEY WESTHEM/The Stanford Daily)

“There was a little bit of wind so there is always a concern that we might not get our catches in clean,” said junior Mackenzie Crist. “But we did a good job of executing our race.”

Despite not racing a single four event the entire spring, the Card put together three boats to race in the two heats of the Women’s Collegiate 4+ in order to prepare for IRAs.

“This was our first race as a four and was really a dress rehearsal for IRAs in two weeks,” said junior coxswain Allison Nguyen. “It is a little different because there are less people in the boat so the intensity isn’t as much. It is up to you to carry out the race plan. We were down off the start but our race plan is to keep our heads in the boat. At the 250 [mark] we started walking on Sacramento State…I was really happy with our result and am proud of everybody in the boat. We have a great point to work off of the next two weeks.”

The A boat finished five seconds behind USC to take second place in the first heat. Stanford’s B and C boats finished second and fourth, respectively, in the second heat.

“Our mindset for this race was to focus internally on our boat and see what we could do,” Crist said. “We wanted to have a race that we would feel confident in heading in to IRAs. We did a good job of having a steady race to accomplish that goal.”

The lightweights will now prepare for the real test of their season in West Windsor, New Jersey at the IRA National Championships, which start May 28.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and plans to take over as Managing Editor of Sports next volume and aid in KZSU’s coverage of football. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.