Hogan and company will finally take the field with 7:59 left in the first quarter: 2 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UC-Davis manages two consecutive first downs but runs out of steam at its own 40 thanks to a great pass breakup by @wlyons21: 5 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UC-Davis able to move the chains on its second drive: 7 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Good to see freshman Christian McCaffrey contributing on special teams already.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Ty has scored as a returner, punt returner, end-around runner and wide receiver. The only thing left is for Shaw to put him at CB for pick-6: 12 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that escalated quickly. Montgomery with a 60-yard punt return for touchdown.: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal defense forces a three-and-out. Stanford fans wondering if they could just put that drive on repeat for the rest of the season.: 16 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Kevin Anderson sets the tone early for the Cardinal defense with a nice tackle resulting in no gain: 18 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Williamson boots the ball away, and the 2014 Stanford football season has begun!: 20 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

NFL Draft profile: Cameron Fleming

Cameron Fleming, Offensive Tackle

Alter ego: “The Rocket Scientist.” No joke, Fleming is actually a rocket scientist. The Aeronautics and Astronautics major will graduate this spring.

CBSSports.com projection: 2nd/3rd round

Cardinal career: Fleming jumped into a starting role on the offensive line as early as his sophomore year, when he was one of three first-year starters along with David Yankey and Sam Schwartzstein. Despite an injury that limited him to 11 games, Fleming received All-Pac-12 honorable mention and helped lead the way up front as the Card averaged 210.6 rushing yards per game, good for 18th in the nation.

As a junior, Fleming was again named All-Pac-12 honorable mention, starting all 14 games at right tackle during the Card’s Rose Bowl-winning season. Then during his senior year, Fleming anchored the right side of a veteran offensive line that started four seniors and finished seventh in the nation in fewest tackles for loss allowed. He was also named to the All-Pac-12 second team. Throughout his final two years at Stanford, Fleming paved the way for both Stepfan Taylor’s 1,530 rushing yards, which rank third in school history, and Tyler Gaffney’s 1,709 rushing yards, which rank second in school history.

Pro stock: The 6-foot-5, 320-pound lineman possesses the big frame and powerful blocking skills to be an NFL tackle for many years to come. At the combine, Fleming ranked sixth among offensive tackles with 26 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. He won’t be outmuscled by any defensive lineman and excels in run blocking. In order to further complete his game, Fleming will look to improve in pass blocking against speed rushers on the outside, something which he will see more of in the NFL. He has nonetheless been shooting up draft boards since he declared for the NFL Draft and will potentially be the first former Cardinal athlete taken in the draft.

Highlight: Fleming had highlights both on and off the field throughout his Cardinal career, including an appearance on a College GameDay feature about the “Revenge of the Nerds.”

On the field, Fleming demolished the purportedly strong front seven of Arizona State in Stanford’s early-season victory.

Contact Michael Peterson at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.