Stanford at 11th in the first coaches poll of the season.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

NFL Draft profile: Cameron Fleming

Cameron Fleming, Offensive Tackle

Alter ego: “The Rocket Scientist.” No joke, Fleming is actually a rocket scientist. The Aeronautics and Astronautics major will graduate this spring.

CBSSports.com projection: 2nd/3rd round

Cardinal career: Fleming jumped into a starting role on the offensive line as early as his sophomore year, when he was one of three first-year starters along with David Yankey and Sam Schwartzstein. Despite an injury that limited him to 11 games, Fleming received All-Pac-12 honorable mention and helped lead the way up front as the Card averaged 210.6 rushing yards per game, good for 18th in the nation.

As a junior, Fleming was again named All-Pac-12 honorable mention, starting all 14 games at right tackle during the Card’s Rose Bowl-winning season. Then during his senior year, Fleming anchored the right side of a veteran offensive line that started four seniors and finished seventh in the nation in fewest tackles for loss allowed. He was also named to the All-Pac-12 second team. Throughout his final two years at Stanford, Fleming paved the way for both Stepfan Taylor’s 1,530 rushing yards, which rank third in school history, and Tyler Gaffney’s 1,709 rushing yards, which rank second in school history.

Pro stock: The 6-foot-5, 320-pound lineman possesses the big frame and powerful blocking skills to be an NFL tackle for many years to come. At the combine, Fleming ranked sixth among offensive tackles with 26 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. He won’t be outmuscled by any defensive lineman and excels in run blocking. In order to further complete his game, Fleming will look to improve in pass blocking against speed rushers on the outside, something which he will see more of in the NFL. He has nonetheless been shooting up draft boards since he declared for the NFL Draft and will potentially be the first former Cardinal athlete taken in the draft.

Highlight: Fleming had highlights both on and off the field throughout his Cardinal career, including an appearance on a College GameDay feature about the “Revenge of the Nerds.”

On the field, Fleming demolished the purportedly strong front seven of Arizona State in Stanford’s early-season victory.

Contact Michael Peterson at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.