2014 Stanford NFL Draft central

2014 NFL Draft Schedule (televised on ESPN and NFL Network)

Thursday, May 8: Round 1, 5 p.m. PDT

Friday, May 9: Rounds 2-3, 4 p.m. PDT

Saturday, May 10: Rounds 4-7, 9 a.m. PDT

[divider]

Player profiles and draft status

All photos courtesy of StanfordPhoto.com. All projections from CBSSports.com.

[ubergrid id=1085350]

[divider]

Liveblog

Tuesday, 11:30 a.m.: A roundup from Stanford football’s Twitter account on all the undrafted signees and rookie minicamp invites. Kevin Danser is headed to Tennessee and Khalil Wilkes is headed to San Diego. This also clarifies that Wilkerson and Carrington received minicamp invites and did not sign.

Sunday, 1:02 p.m.: Our apologies for missing one this morning, but Jarek Lancaster did receive a rookie minicamp invitation from the Oakland Raiders:

Sunday, 11:40 a.m.: Anthony Wilkerson confirmed this morning that he’s joining the Colts:

Saturday, 7:28 p.m.: There are reports that Anthony Wilkerson may be headed to the Colts, though nothing’s confirmed yet.

Saturday, 7:12 p.m.: Hewitt confirmed his signing with the Bengals as well.

Saturday, 6:04 p.m.: Skov confirms that he’s headed to a Bay Area NFL team: the San Francisco 49ers. There, he’ll rejoin former head coach Jim Harbaugh and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.

Saturday, 5:20 p.m.: Still no official confirmation on Skov or Hewitt. But even with the disappointment at the end of the draft, Stanford finished with the most picks out of any Pac-12 school (6):

Saturday, 5:05 p.m.: According to ESPN’s Kyle Bonagura, who regularly covers Stanford, Shayne Skov will sign with Oakland and Ryan Hewitt will sign with Cincinnati. Tweets below:

Saturday, 4:58 p.m.: Safety Devon Carrington will join Josh Mauro in Pittsburgh as another undrafted free agent. Carrington was a four-year player who really improved throughout his career and will look to make a splash. Tweet below by Carrington:

Saturday, 4:50 p.m.: The first of the premier undrafted free agents from Stanford to sign is defensive end Josh Mauro. Mauro has signed with the Steelers, who have David DeCastro ’12 starting at guard. Mauro confirmed on Twitter:

Saturday, 4:35 p.m.: We just got a text message from fan favorite Conor McFadden about David Yankey being picked by the Vikings. McFadden is currently back in Minneapolis helping out on his dad’s senate campaign. “Yank is a great addition to the greatest organization in the NFL. Skol.” It’s always great hearing from Conor, who is one of Yankey’s good friends on the team.

Saturday, 4:18 p.m.: It’s good and bad for Stanford football. Six players were drafted, which is tied for second best all time for the Cardinal. There easily could have been nine, however. Twitter reactions on both sides below:

Saturday, 4:10 p.m.: It’s official, Shayne Skov is an undrafted free agent. We did not expect that. Two years in a row that the Cardinal has a linebacker fall to undrafted status (Chase Thomas). We’ll update you on UFA signings as they come in. Josh Mauro and Ryan Hewitt are the other top UFA candidates. Saturday, 3:51 p.m.: Michael Sam, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, is officially now the first openly gay NFL player after being taken by the Rams with pick No. 249. Seven picks to go for Skov, Mauro and Hewitt. Also, a quote from Gaffney below:

Saturday, 3:40 p.m.: Ten picks remaining, and still no Skov, Mauro or Hewitt. At this point, they might be better off going undrafted and getting to choose which team they try to make. Apparently it might be financially beneficial as well. Still, it’s hard for guys who expect to be drafted to take that blow. Saturday, 3:30 p.m.: But in all of this Shayne Skov ridiculousness, let’s not lose sight of how great it is that Gardner was able to fight his way back from the nasty injury he suffered in Corvallis to get drafted.

Saturday, 3:25 p.m.: THIS!

Saturday, 3:10 p.m.: Twitter reactions to the pick of Ben Gardner are below. It’s clear from all of the Tweets from Stanford student-athletes how popular Ben is and how happy people are for him.

Saturday, 3:05 p.m.: Well no Stanford fans had this in their mock drafts: Ben Gardner goes before Shayne Skov at pick No. 231 to the Cowboys. Congrats to Ben, who is a heck of a football player and has been fighting to get healthy since suffering a nasty season-ending injury at Oregon State. He’s also always been a great friend of The Daily’s. He’s one of the most helpful people on the team, right up there with Shayne Skov.

Saturday, 2:45 p.m.: If we know anything about the Harbaugh recruits still on the board, it’s that they thrive as the underdog. They haven’t been underdogs in a while, but every one of these guys besides Trent Murphy became an underdog again today.

Saturday, 2:30 p.m.: I never thought I’d say this, but we head to the seventh round and Shayne Skov is still available! Ben Gardner, Josh Mauro and Ryan Hewitt could make pretty good pros too…

Saturday, 2:15 p.m.: The 2009 Stanford backfield was pretty good…

Saturday, 2:07 p.m.: Best Tweet of the weekend:

Saturday, 2:05 p.m.: Congratulations to Tyler Gaffney, who finally gets the call from the Carolina Panthers at No. 204 overall in the sixth round. Our favorite highlight (of many): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68tZtN7kFY Saturday, 1:35 p.m.: We are now past the halfway point of the sixth round, and we are still waiting on the next Stanford player to hear his name called. This will bring up interesting baseball vs. football conversations for Tyler Gaffney if it goes on much longer. Saturday, 1:15 p.m.: Twitter is blowing up in support of Shayne Skov. He has to be one of the most talented players still on the board. Injury concerns, especially Shayne not being able to run the 40, have hurt a lot. But watch this video…

Saturday, 1:03 p.m.: San Jose State quarterback David Fales goes to Chicago with pick 183. Fales played a very good game against Stanford in 2012 in his first game at the FBS level after transferring to San Jose State. He struggled behind a poor offensive line at times, but he definitely showed potential in that game against a very good defense. Saturday, 12:42 p.m.: The fifth round has come to an end with another great interview from that 99th Rose Bowl Game in Wisconsin wide receiver Jared Abbrederis, and it was a good one for the Cardinal with David Yankey going to the Vikings and Ed Reynolds going to the Eagles. There are still a few very good Stanford players on the board. Many people had Shayne Skov and Tyler Gaffney going before this point. They both seem like huge steals at this point. Saturday, 12:20 p.m.: David Yankey’s reaction to being picked by the Vikings (note: Yankey and Conor McFadden were great friends, often seen together cheering on Nicole Gibbs at Stanford women’s tennis matches):

Saturday, 12:10 p.m.: Our favorite rapid Twitter reactions from the Ed Reynolds pick:

Saturday, 12:05 p.m.And there goes Ed Reynolds, who will join former teammate Zach Ertz under Chip Kelly in Philadelphia. Reynolds was taken with the 162nd pick. Chip Kelly loves picking Pac-12 players…

Saturday, 12 p.m.: A noon-time check-in: Stanford has two selected on day 3 so far. The Patriots took Cam Fleming with the last pick of the fourth round and the Vikings took David Yankey five picks later. Shayne Skov, Ed Reynolds and Tyler Gaffney are expected to go soon. Josh Mauro, Ryan Hewitt and Ben Gardner are in the group after that. But it’s the NFL Draft, and that means that anything can happen at any time.

Saturday, 11:52 a.m.: It looks like we’re not the only ones who love this David Yankey pick.

Saturday, 11:30 a.m.: Our favorite Tweets about Cam Fleming so far:

Saturday, 11:20 a.m.: Stanford went almost 100 picks between Trent Murphy (47) and Cam Fleming (140). The Card only had to wait five more for No. 3, as Minnesota tapped All-American David Yankey with perhaps the sleeper pick of the draft so far. Rapid reaction from one of his biggest fans:

Saturday, 11:10 a.m.: Some rapid reactions on Twitter to Cam Fleming being taken by the New England Patriots with the last pick of the fourth round (No. 140 overall).

Saturday, 11:05 a.m.: The fourth round ends with the second Stanford player taken. Congratulations to Cam Fleming, who heads to New England at pick No. 140. More updates and reactions to come.

Saturday, 10:40 a.m.: The Patriots take Wisconsin running back James White at No. 130. White was a great interview before the 99th Rose Bowl Game. He had such great insight into how to be an effective second running back. He said that, while backing up Montee Ball, he would watch every play on the big screen and pretend that he had the ball, reading the defense and picking a hole. The two would talk every time they were off the field together as well. He will be a productive No. 2 option for New England.

Saturday, 10:30 a.m.: Cal gets a second guy drafted. This time it’s linebacker Khairi Fortt at pick 126 to the Saints. Every Stanford football player waiting to be drafted right now, especially David Yankey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwu-6GxBHN4

Saturday, 10:05 a.m.: Once a captain, always a captain. Sam Schwartzsein is absolutely killing it in defense of his teammates, especially David Yankey. That man is a leader for life.

Saturday, 10 a.m.: Right on cue, the Bears take Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey to give every Pac-12 team at least one drafted player so far. That’s three Pac-12 players in a row. When is the Stanford run coming? Fleming, Yankey, Skov and Reynolds are all in play here.

Saturday, 9:55 a.m.UCLA gets its fourth selection of the draft and second today with Shaq Evans going to UCLA. Stanford is still stuck at one. Eleven of the 12 Pac-12 teams have had at least one player taken so far, with UCLA’s four selections leading the way. Only Arizona has yet to have a player drafted, and Wildcats running back Ka’Deem Carey should be taken in the next few hours.

Saturday, 9:50 a.m.: The top Stanford highlight so far is watching head coach David Shaw keep a straight face when Mike Mayock compared Boston College football players academically to Stanford’s. Shaw made sure to subtly knock Andre Williams in favor of his RB, Tyler Gaffney, by reminding everyone that Gaffney is also tough but also can catch the ball well (Williams had zero catches in 2013).

Saturday, 9:40 a.m.: Sam Schwartzstein is not happy that Stanford’s players are being passed over, seemingly for a lack of athleticism upside. It certainly can’t be for a lack of production.

Saturday, 9:30 a.m.: We’re eight picks and 30 minutes into Day 3 and still waiting for another Stanford player. With the 49ers pick of South Carolina WR Bruce Ellington, Stanford guard David Yankey moved up to No. 2 on Mel Kiper’s list of best available players, but he has been in the top five of that list for a while.

Saturday, 9 a.m.: Richard Sherman gives the perfect introduction for today’s draft. There are plenty of underrated players available that will make an impact in the NFL, and, arguably, at least a few of them played on the two-time defending Pac-12 Champions. The Philadelphia Eagles are first to pick.

Saturday, 8:45 a.m.: Welcome back to the third and final day of The Stanford Daily’s NFL Draft live blog. With only Trent Murphy drafted so far (No. 47 overall to the Redskins), today should be a busy day for the Cardinal. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. has guard David Yankey as his third-best available player, while many other outlets project Cam Fleming to be the next Stanford player off the board. The draft commences in 15 minutes, so stay tuned for more updates.

Friday, 8:17 p.m.: And the third round is complete, with Trent Murphy as the only Stanford player that has been drafted. Our coverage will resume bright and early tomorrow morning, when the fourth round commences at 9 a.m. Thanks for following!

Friday, 7:58 p.m.: Guards have been flying off the board in the third round, but David Yankey isn’t one of them. Six pure guards have been selected so far.

Friday, 7:49 p.m.: Ten picks left in tonight’s third round.

Friday, 7:36 p.m.: Chip Kelly picks his former receiver, Josh Huff. His 2013 highlight against Stanford:

Friday, 7:26 p.m.: Late in the third round, two straight tackles who banged heads with the Cardinal last year: ASU’s Will Sutton and Notre Dame’s Louis Nix III.

Friday, 7:15 p.m.: Maybe the Redskins have a rule against taking two Stanford players in a row, going with an offensive guard not named David Yankey.

Friday, 7:10 p.m.: Jim Harbaugh takes Wisconsin’s Chris Borland over fellow inside linebacker Shayne Skov — but possibly frees up Skov as the next ILB to go.

Friday, 6:59 p.m.: Vikings take Oregon State’s Scott Crichton, who had a sack and a 36-yard fumble recovery against Stanford in Corvallis last year.

Friday, 6:37 p.m.: The Redskins draft Virginia offensive tackle Morgan Moses early in the third round. Somebody’s gotta protect RGIII from Trent Murphy in practice, after all.

Friday, 6:12 p.m.: The Colts cheat on Stanford with an Ohio State offensive lineman. On the other hand, anything to protect Andrew…

Friday, 6:07 p.m.: Indianapolis Colts with the next pick. It’s Stanford time.

Friday, 5:59 p.m.: But as this GIF shows, not everyone’s a huge fan of Murphy going to the Redskins.

Friday, 5:57 p.m.: Trent looking good in his new colors:

Friday, 5:43 p.m.: Former Stanford player James Lofton ’78 announces the 53rd pick in the draft for the Packers. The guy selected? Fresno State’s Davante Adams, Palo Alto resident.

Friday, 5:38 p.m.: Part of what makes Murphy a great fit with the Redskins is his ability to defend the read-option — particularly, the Chip Kelly flavor he’ll see against his new division rival Eagles. Here’s his tape from the 2012 Stanford-Oregon game:

Friday, 5:34 p.m.: This is a can’t-miss highlight of Murphy’s Stanford career: http://vimeo.com/94077891

Friday, 5:30 p.m.: Congratulations from some Cardinal teammates:

Friday, 5:26 p.m.: Not many Stanford defensive players have been drafted in the top 50 recently:

Friday, 5:23 p.m.: Zach Ertz will get a chance to block Murphy, his former Stanford teammate, twice a year with the Redskins’ NFC East rival, the Eagles.

Friday, 5:20 p.m.: Trent Murphy is the first Stanford player off the board, going to the Washington Redskins as the 47th player selected in the 2014 NFL Draft! NFL, meet The Yeti.

Friday, 5:05 p.m.: Still no movement for the Cardinal, but about 45 minutes ago, a draft update from Shayne Skov:

Friday, 4:46 p.m.: Lee joins Stanford’s own Toby Gerhart in Jacksonville, though the two offensive stars never overlapped in college.

Friday, 4:45 p.m.: And right after the Huskies’ best pass-catcher comes USC’s best pass-catcher, Marqise Lee. Lee flashed his speed against the Card two years ago in the Coliseum on this touchdown catch:

Friday, 4:43 p.m.: Washington’s Austin Seferian-Jenkins picked 38th overall by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. ASJ had 4 catches for 58 yards at Stanford last season.

Friday, 4:35 p.m.: Does anyone else have nightmares about Mel Kiper? #NFLDraftConfessions

Friday, 4:12 p.m.: The Houston Texans go to the Pac-12 to pick UCLA guard Xavier Su’a-Filo, a familiar foe for the Cardinal. This is a good sign for Stanford guard David Yankey, as some have him as the second-best guard in the draft behind Su’a-Filo.

Friday, 4:03 p.m.: The Houston Texans are on the clock and Round 2 has begun. Who do you think the first Stanford player to be selected today and when do you think he’ll go? Tweet us your answers @StanfordSports and we’ll retweet the people who get closest to the correct answer.

Friday, 3:45 p.m.: Welcome back to The Stanford Daily’s 2014 NFL Draft live blog. No Cardinal players were selected in Thursday night’s first round, but we’re 15 minutes away from the start of Day 2, and Trent Murphy, Cameron Fleming, Shayne Skov and David Yankey could all be in play today. Stay tuned.

Thursday, 8:45 p.m.: And with that, the first round of the NFL Draft is complete. Thanks for following! We’ll be back here tomorrow, same place, different time (3:30 p.m. PDT) with the second and third rounds. Trent Murphy, Cameron Fleming and Shayne Skov all have a good shot at being selected tomorrow.

Thursday, 8:16 p.m.: Washington State safety Deone Bucannon taken by Arizona with the 27th pick in the first round. Stepfan Taylor will have to watch out for the hard-hitting safety in practice, but he’s a friend of Stanford, as this highlight shows.

Thursday, 8:01 p.m.: Last month, it was reported that Dennard actually “suffered a severely sprained ankle” just days before Michigan State’s Rose Bowl win against Stanford.

Thursday, 7:58 p.m.: With the 24th pick, the Bengals pick Stanford’s Rose Bowl nemesis, Darqueze Dennard. That’s the third defensive back picked in the first round who has faced the Cardinal in a BCS bowl.

Thursday, 7:46 p.m.: Mixed reviews at The Daily’s office.

Thursday, 7:42 p.m.: Johnny Manziel goes to the Cleveland Browns with the 22nd pick. There, he’ll throw to former Cardinal tight end Jim Dray, who will be covered in practice by former Cardinal corner Johnson Bademosi. Thursday, 7:33 p.m.: Ben Gardner’s take on Cooks:

Thursday, 7:26 p.m.: New Orleans trades up to get Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks, who had 9 catches for 80 yards and a touchdown against Stanford this season, with the 20th pick. Here’s that touchdown, on which Cooks fought through a big hit into the end zone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eySeJLnq7iE&t=2m7s

Thursday, 7:20 p.m.: On the other hand…

Thursday, 6:53 p.m.: The Cowboys take Notre Dame offensive tackle Zach Martin over Johnny Manziel. Our friend Shayne Skov was really impressed by Martin, especially in pass protection.

Thursday, 6:44 p.m.: Another Stanford bowl opponent: Virginia Tech DB Kyle Fuller, just chosen 14th overall by the Bears. Fuller played in the 2011 Orange Bowl, when Andrew Luck picked apart the Hokies’ secondary.

Thursday, 6:15 p.m.: Here’s Barr’s highlight reel against Stanford last year. He disrupted a few Cardinal plays but wasn’t a game-changer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESvEftlYmco

Thursday, 6:12 p.m.: UCLA’s Anthony Barr chosen ninth overall by Minnesota. The Cardinal more or less neutralized the Bruins’ star earlier this year in a 24-10 win.

Thursday, 6:06 p.m.: The Browns’ eighth overall pick, Justin Gilbert, picked off Luck in the 2012 Fiesta Bowl.

Thursday, 5:39 p.m.: Those 29 Cardinal alums in the NFL play for 18 NFL teams, so chances are good that a couple players from Stanford’s 2014 roster will be rejoining old teammates this weekend.

Thursday, 5:35 p.m.: Here are some Stanford NFL stats to keep in mind this weekend. First, the Cardinal’s NFL Draft selections over the last five years. 2008: 0. 2009: 0. 2010: 3. 2011: 4. 2012: 4. But as Stanford has 29 former players in the NFL, there’s also a history of undrafted free agents from the Farm succeeding at the next level.

Thursday, 5:18 p.m.: Clowney said earlier this week that if he joined the Texans, then AFC South rival Andrew Luck ’12 “better have his head on a swivel.”

Thursday, 5:16 p.m.: And the NFL Draft has begun! The first overall pick by the Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney. Congrats to everyone but Michael!

Thursday, 4:57 p.m.: To begin with, here are the first-round projections of some of our football writers: Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 4.57.44 PM Thursday, 4:55 p.m.: The NFL Draft is about to get underway! No Cardinal players are expected to be picked tonight in the first round, but keep following us for some Stanford NFL stats and reminders of how some of the first-rounders fared against the Card.

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.