RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

NFL Draft profile: Ryan Hewitt

Ryan Hewitt, Fullback

Alter ego: “Gruden’s favorite.” Not many people have gotten mad Andrew Luck’s performance on the football field, but Jon Gruden took offense to Luck ignoring Hewitt on the now-infamous Spider 3 Y Banana play.

CBSSports.com projection: 7th round/undrafted

Cardinal career: Hewitt came to the Farm as a tight end, but was converted to fullback during the last year of predecessor Owen Marecic’s career because he was the shortest member of his stacked position group — at 6-foot-4. After backing up Marecic in all 13 games in 2010, Hewitt would start for three straight years and bring a new flavor to the Cardinal’s already distinctive offense, adding his pass-catching abilities to the smashmouth identity of the fullback position.

Unfortunately, Hewitt has been on the field for some of the more forgettable plays in recent Stanford football memory: Luck’s pix-six on Spider 2 Y Banana in 2011, an errant throw by Kevin Hogan on a fourth-down pass to Hewitt at Oregon in 2012 and Michigan State’s fourth-and-1 stop of Hewitt late in the Rose Bowl to end his college career. But his blocking abilities have paved the way for a pair of 1,500-yard rushers in Stepfan Taylor and Tyler Gaffney, and his playmaking has been an added dimension in the years since Marecic, the quintessential Cardinal fullback.

Pro stock: Hewitt’s integral role in Stanford’s pro-style offense — and his well-established versatility — are major pluses for NFL scouts. He earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine, where he worked out as a running back and not as a tight end. Hewitt’s speed (a 4.87 40-yard dash at the Combine) may be seen as a weakness, but he’s still expected to be a late-round draft pick and to have his shot at the next level.

Highlights: Hewitt converted a critical fourth-and-1 against Oregon in 2012 as Stanford came back to force overtime.

And early in the Pac-12 Championship Game, Hewitt accidentally went in motion but turned the mistake — which would have cost the Cardinal five yards — into six points, setting a crucial block on Tyler Gaffney’s game-opening touchdown.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.