RT @stanfordmswim: David Nolan steps onto the blocks. Goes 1:39.38 in the 200 IM. Fastest ever. NCAA title. Drops mic.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @RuleofTree: Quarterback KJ Costello commits to Stanford. 4-star rated as the 33rd best player in the country: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Stanford's home tilt with Vanderbilt in 2024 will mark the first ever visit to Stanford Stadium by an SEC program: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford announces football series with Vanderbilt (2021/4/5/7) and TCU (2024/7).: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @MikeReiss: Bill Belichick said RB Tyler Gaffney, who spent last year on IR, was at the facility every day. "Excited to work with Tyler …: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

NFL Draft profile: Usua Amanam

Usua Amanam, Defensive Back

Alter ego: “Job well done.” The meaning of Amanam’s last name was a topic of discussion after his four-tackle-for-loss performance in his nickelback debut against San Jose State to start the 2012 season. He has lived up to the name both on the field and in the classroom, where the energy resources engineering major is known as one of the Cardinal’s most dedicated students. (Usua’s first name is just as telling: “One that despises evil things.”)

CBSSports.com projection: n/a

Cardinal career: A local product from San Jose’s Bellarmine College Prep, Amanam redshirted as a freshman before becoming the fifth prong in the Cardinal’s running back by committee in 2010. At the end of that year he made the transition to cornerback, and after a year as a backup, he switched once more to nickelback and shined against the Spartans.

Even though the nickel isn’t on the field for every play, Amanam became a huge part of Stanford’s memorable 2012 season. He stripped a UCLA kickoff returner and returned the fumble for a touchdown — without the ball even hitting the ground — to help the Cardinal clinch the Pac-12 North title; in the very same stadium a month later, he all but sealed Stanford’s 20-14 Rose Bowl win by picking off a Wisconsin pass late in the fourth quarter, also earning defensive MVP honors. Though Amanam wasn’t involved in as many turnovers in 2014, he undoubtedly added value to the Stanford secondary and led the defensive backs in tackles for loss on the year.

Pro stock: It’s unclear whether Amanam is still pursuing the NFL; he didn’t participate in Stanford’s pro day and isn’t receiving much attention from scouting websites. Yet he has a great backup plan in the oil and gas industry, as he explained to the Stanford School of Earth Sciences last year. “There’s a low probability that an NFL career is going to happen for most college football players,” he said. “If the football route doesn’t work out, I’ll have a Stanford degree to fall back on.”

Highlight: Amanam’s interception helped clinch the 2013 Rose Bowl victory for Stanford.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.