Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

NFL Draft profile: Usua Amanam

Usua Amanam, Defensive Back

Alter ego: “Job well done.” The meaning of Amanam’s last name was a topic of discussion after his four-tackle-for-loss performance in his nickelback debut against San Jose State to start the 2012 season. He has lived up to the name both on the field and in the classroom, where the energy resources engineering major is known as one of the Cardinal’s most dedicated students. (Usua’s first name is just as telling: “One that despises evil things.”)

CBSSports.com projection: n/a

Cardinal career: A local product from San Jose’s Bellarmine College Prep, Amanam redshirted as a freshman before becoming the fifth prong in the Cardinal’s running back by committee in 2010. At the end of that year he made the transition to cornerback, and after a year as a backup, he switched once more to nickelback and shined against the Spartans.

Even though the nickel isn’t on the field for every play, Amanam became a huge part of Stanford’s memorable 2012 season. He stripped a UCLA kickoff returner and returned the fumble for a touchdown — without the ball even hitting the ground — to help the Cardinal clinch the Pac-12 North title; in the very same stadium a month later, he all but sealed Stanford’s 20-14 Rose Bowl win by picking off a Wisconsin pass late in the fourth quarter, also earning defensive MVP honors. Though Amanam wasn’t involved in as many turnovers in 2014, he undoubtedly added value to the Stanford secondary and led the defensive backs in tackles for loss on the year.

Pro stock: It’s unclear whether Amanam is still pursuing the NFL; he didn’t participate in Stanford’s pro day and isn’t receiving much attention from scouting websites. Yet he has a great backup plan in the oil and gas industry, as he explained to the Stanford School of Earth Sciences last year. “There’s a low probability that an NFL career is going to happen for most college football players,” he said. “If the football route doesn’t work out, I’ll have a Stanford degree to fall back on.”

Highlight: Amanam’s interception helped clinch the 2013 Rose Bowl victory for Stanford.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger