Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Career-high for receptions in a game for Irwin, who has four tonight. Stanford driving, at Zona 18.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Schreyer shines in softball’s narrow victory over Saint Mary’s

Stanford softball (28-21, 3-15 Pac-12) took care of business on Wednesday afternoon against Saint Mary’s, dispatching the Gaels 2-1 in Moraga, California. In a game that figured to be a low-scoring pitcher’s duel, Cardinal starter Madi Schreyer and SMC starter Lujane Mussadi both lived up to their billing in a well-pitched game.

Schreyer, who has had an up-and-down season in her opening campaign on the Farm, was brilliant against an overmatched Gaels lineup. The freshman gave up only one unearned run and stuck out seven Gael batters in notching her 20th win on the season. The Woodinville, Washington native scattered seven base hits, and was able to overcome a couple of Cardinal errors in the field to pick up the complete-game victory.

Freshman pitcher Madi Schreyer

Freshman pitcher Madi Schreyer (above) tossed a complete game against Saint Mary’s on Wednesday, striking out seven and walking none over seven innings of work. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Schreyer, who has thrown 215.2 of the team’s 310.2 innings, was particularly effective at getting ahead of Saint Mary’s hitters before ultimately inducing several groundouts. She finished the game with nine groundouts to only four flyouts, while allowing only a single walk for the first time this season.

On offense, Stanford’s potent attack was kept in check for most of the afternoon, as Mussadi kept the Cardinal off balance in four innings of work. However, freshman Kylie Sorenson provided the difference on the scoreboard, blasting a 2-run home run to left field to score the Card’s only runs of the day.

The homer was the fifth on the season for the Southern California product, one of 25 finalists for the inaugural NFCA Freshman of the Year Award. Sorenson now leads Stanford in several offensive categories, including batting average (.370), doubles (16), RBIs (41), slugging percentage (.623) and on-base percentage (.503).

“We had a runner on, and we had not been able to put anything together up until that point,” Sorenson said of her shot to left field, surprised that she was able to take Mussadi deep. “I was just trying to find a gap…hit gap-to-gap with something hard on the ground, because with two strikes, I have been popping up a lot.”

Outside of Sorenson’s home run, the Cardinal were also able to draw hits from Erin Ashby, Cassandra Roulund, Bessie Noll and Tylyn Wells. The three through six hitters in the lineup were particularly effective, going a combined 4-for-11 (.364) with a walk.

“I thought it was a gritty win today,” said head coach John Rittman. “Madi pitched extremely well and Kylie got the big, timely home run for us. Although we committed two errors defensively, we made some nice plays and worked out of some jams. That shows signs of growth, especially on the road against a team that is a pretty darn good team.”

The Cardinal return to action on Friday night against No. 2 UCLA (44-4, 15-3 Pac-12) in Los Angeles, as part of Stanford’s second-to-last series of the 2014 regular season. Friday night’s contest at 7 p.m. will air on the Pac-12 Networks, before the Card and Bruins meet on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m., and Sunday afternoon at noon.

Contact David Cohn at dmcohn ‘at’

About David Cohn

David Cohn '15 is currently a Sports Desk Editor. He began his tenure at the Daily by serving as a senior staff writer for Stanford football and softball, and then rose to the position of assistant editor of staff development. He served as the Summer Managing Editor of Sports in 2014. David is a Biology major from Poway, California. In addition to his duties at the Daily, he serves as the lead play-by-play football and softball announcer for KZSU Live Stanford Radio 90.1 FM.