RT @StanfordSports: PSA: student tickets are now available to be claimed for Saturday's matchup against USC: 2 hours ago, The Stanford Daily

Eleven professors elected to prestigious academy

The American Academy of Arts and Sciences – one of the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honorary societies, and a leading independent policy research group – has elected eleven Stanford professors to its 2014 class.

The elected members are Karol Berger, Emmanuel Jean Candès, William Damon, Linda Darling-Hammond, James Fishkin, Shanto Iyengar, Daphne Koller, Jonathan David Levin, Stephen R. Quake, Mendel Rosenblum and Londa L. Schiebinger.

“It is a privilege to honor these men and women for their extraordinary individual accomplishments,” said Don Randel, chair of the academy’s board of directors, to the Stanford News Service. “The knowledge and expertise of our members give the academy a unique capacity – and responsibility – to provide practical policy solutions to the pressing challenges of the day. We look forward to engaging our new members in this work.”

Current members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences include more than 250 Nobel Laureates, more than 60 Pulitzer Prize winners and distinguished leaders in business, academia and global security.

About Peter Samuel Moon

Peter is currently a deputy desk editor and a freshman majoring in economics (anticipated). He enjoys soccer, basketball, and fitness.