RT @catzdong: Relevant: @Stanford_Daily op-ed by @CoryBooker published in 1992 shortly after the controversial Rodney King verdict http://t…: 22 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Maya Krishnan '15 and Emily Witt '15 are 2015 Rhodes Scholars! That brings the @Stanford Rhodes count to 114.: 4 days ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @TSDArtsAndLife: John Barton talks to the @Stanford_Daily about Stanford's future "trans-disciplinary" Architectural Design program. htt…: 6 days ago, The Stanford Daily

Gas leak on Campus Drive leads to athletic facility evacuations

Three University facilities—Arrillaga Family Sports Center, Taube Family Tennis Stadium and Taube South Tennis Courts—were evacuated Tuesday morning in response to a gas leak in the vicinity. The area was reopened late Tuesday evening after repairs were completed.

The gas leak was initially reported at approximately 10:10 a.m. in the area of 641 Campus Drive, near the Arrillaga Family Sports Center. A backhoe working on a Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation paving project there had broken a six-inch pipe.

According to University spokeswoman Lisa Lapin, the campus police and fire departments were subsequently called to the scene and the three affected buildings evacuated and closed out of caution. Two-way car and pedestrian traffic on Campus Drive between Galvez Street and Bonair Siding was blocked as representatives from Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) worked to shut down and replace the broken pipe.

“We’re working together with PG&E to make repairs, test the line and make sure there is no gas build-up in buildings, that everything is clear,” Lapin said Tuesday afternoon.

While no athletic events were disrupted, IT Services reported that some users may have experienced issues with limited internet access and VoIP telephone service interruptions as a result of the incident.

Repairs were estimated to not be complete until 9 p.m.  at the earliest. Ultimately, the gas leak was repaired by 9:07 p.m. and the area reopened to vehicle and pedestrian traffic shortly after.

Contact Catherine Zaw at czaw13 ‘at’ stanford ‘dot’ edu.

About Catherine Zaw

Catherine Zaw is the Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. She is a senior from Miami, Florida, double majoring in biology and linguistics. To contact her, please email czaw13@stanford.edu.