Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 8 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Cardinal edge Pacific to again break even

Playing for the fourth straight day, Stanford baseball (19-19, 7-11 Pac-12) withstood a late rally from non-conference opponent Pacific (23-22, 12-9 WCC) to seal a 3-2 victory on the road. Stanford climbed back to .500 with the win, the sixth time this season the Cardinal have been at the middle mark even though they have yet to break past the barrier, having lost all five previous times they have stood at .500.

(BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Freshman infielder Tommy Edman (above) continued his hot streak with a two-run single in the sixth inning, giving the Cardinal a 3-1 advantage en route to a 3-2 victory over Pacific. He is now hitting 13-for-31 (.419) over his current nine-game hitting streak. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Although the bats were relatively quiet for the Cardinal, stellar pitching from sophomore Logan James and solid work in relief from freshmen Chris Viall and Chris Castellanos combined to bring home the victory, which is only the fourth time this season the team has won when scoring three or less runs.

James started on the mound for the first time this season and threw four scoreless innings, allowing only a single hit. His start was only the fourth start of the season not made by a freshman, with the other three coming from junior John Hochstatter. James also tied his career-high with five strikeouts.

Stanford struck early in the top of the first inning when junior Alex Blandino doubled down the left field line, bringing home senior Brett Michael Doran for the first run of the game. Although they continued to threaten early on with four more hits in the next three innings, the Cardinal would only pick up two hits in the final five innings.

One of those hits came in the sixth inning off of the bat of freshman Tommy Edman, who knocked a two-run bases-loaded single through the right side, extending Stanford’s lead to 3-0. Edman has now hit in nine straight games with 13 total hits in that streak.

In the seventh inning, Pacific threatened with two hits and a walk to load the bases with only one out. An RBI groundout brought home Pacific’s first run of the game, but Castellanos, who entered in relief of Viall in the inning, then locked down and stranded runners at second and third.

Even with their backs against the wall, the Tigers again rallied with back-to-back doubles from senior Erik Lockwood and freshman Parker Klein with two outs in the ninth inning to cut the deficit to 3-2. Castellanos quelled the Cardinal’s fears, though, by inducing a lineout to again strand a runner in scoring position and clinch the victory for the Card.

Stanford improved to 8-0 in its non-conference midweek games this season and has now won seven of its last 10 games overall. On the other side, Pacific dropped its second consecutive contest after winning 10 of its previous 11.

Every non-conference game is essentially a must-win at this point in the season for Stanford, which dropped six spots to 34th in the nation in RPI when the new rankings were released on Tuesday. With the Card fighting on the bubble for a postseason berth, a loss to an opponent from a weak conference could damage their resume beyond repair.

Stanford resumes play on Friday at 6 p.m. when it faces UCLA in Los Angeles.

Contact Michael Peterson at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of football and baseball for KZSU. Michael is a senior from Rancho Santa Margarita, California majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.