ProFros brave Admit Weekend despite rain

Over 1,200 admitted students arrived on campus on April 24 for a rainy Admit Weekend 2014, which offered prospective freshmen (ProFros) programming from Thursday through Sunday.

This year’s programming included speeches by President John Hennessy, Provost John Etchemendy Ph.D. ‘82 and Dean of Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid Richard Shaw; academic expositions and tours of athletic facilities, the Cantor Arts Center and residence halls; and Friday evening’s annual BROC party.

Although Admit Weekend organizers struggled to recruit a sufficient number of room hosts (RoHos) this year, Admit Weekend coordinator Keegan Livermore ‘16 said that this year’s turnout of RoHos significantly exceeded last year’s showing. Over 1,000 RoHos had signed up to host admits by the end of Spring Break.

According to Matthew Proto, assistant dean of admission for marketing and communications, a total of 1,179 RoHos ultimately signed up and 1,258 ProFros checked in during registration. Proto said that approximately 65 students who checked in did not request an overnight host.

Dean of Freshmen and Undergraduate Advising Rob Urstein claimed that this year’s Admit Weekend helped ProFros learn more about the Stanford campus and its academic environment.

“I think Admit Weekend was extremely successful and helped prospective students and their families learn more about the range and depth of opportunities and resources available at Stanford,” Urstein said. “Additionally, it gave them the chance to get to know one another and to meet a lot of the incredible people who make Stanford the place it is.”

Urstein and Proto credited current Stanford students who aided the University’s efforts, whether by hosting ProFros or showing them around.

“I was impressed with the efforts that all of our current students made to help these ProFros feel at home and welcome here,” Urstein said.

Admitted students have until May 1 to accept the University’s offer of admission.

Andrew Vogeley contributed to this report.

Contact Catherine Zaw at czaw13 ‘at’ Stanford ‘dot’ edu.

About Catherine Zaw

Catherine Zaw is the Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. She is a junior from Miami, FL, double majoring in biology and linguistics. To contact her, please email czaw13@stanford.edu.