The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 39 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 40 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Blandino blasts two homers as Stanford breaks even

The hot bat of junior Alex Blandino and strong relief pitching from sophomore Marcus Brakeman powered Stanford baseball to a win as the Card jumped ahead early and led the whole way in a 6-2 victory over Saint Mary’s (13-27, 5-10 WCC). The win moved Stanford (17-17, 6-9 Pac-12) back to .500 for the first time since March 28, when they stood at 10-10, and was the Cardinal’s sixth victory in their last seven games.

Junior third baseman Alex Blandino (above)

Junior third baseman Alex Blandino (above) hit two home runs against Saint Mary’s to continue his recent hot streak at the dish. Over his past three games, the junior from Palo Alto, Calif. is hitting .416 with six runs scored. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

“The mindset of the team the last few games is just that it’s been all of us [contributing],” Brakeman said. “Everyone’s going out there and attacking the other team, really wanting to win. It means a lot getting back to .500.”

The Cardinal offense finished with nine total hits, including two hits apiece from Blandino, junior Austin Slater, sophomore Zach Hoffpauir and freshman Tommy Edman, but it was Blandino who stole the show. Blandino finished the game 2-for-4 with two home runs, four RBIs and three runs for his third career two-homer game. Over his past three games, Blandino is 5-for-12 with six total runs scored as well.

Blandino’s two home runs give Stanford nine total homers in its last 16 games; the Cardinal had only five home runs in its first 18 games.

Freshman Brett Hanewich took the mound to start the game for Stanford but struggled with his command in 3.1 innings pitched. Despite only surrendering two hits, the Bradenton, Fla. native issued three walks and hit two batters. Over his past four starts, Hanewich is now 0-2 with a 6.62 ERA in 17.2 innings pitched.

Brakeman impressed pitching in relief of Hanewich, throwing 5.2 innings and holding the Gaels scoreless. In addition, Brakeman allowed just five baserunners while striking out seven to pick up his first win of the season.

“I got more used to throwing all my pitches as the game went on,” Brakeman said. “Everything definitely clicked by the seventh or eighth inning.”

The game started off well for the Cardinal, as Edman and freshman Jack Klein both reached base to lead off the game before a sacrifice bunt from senior Danny Diekroeger moved them into scoring position. The bunt ultimately proved meaningless when Blandino blasted the ball over the left field fence to put Stanford ahead 3-0 in the first frame.

The teams would trade barbs in the middle innings, as the Gaels pushed a run across in the second inning to cut the lead to 3-1. But Stanford responded quickly in the third when Blandino scored on a wild pitch. In the fourth inning, an RBI single from DonAndre Clark trimmed Stanford’s lead again, this time to 4-2. A solo home run from Blandino in the fifth inning and a run from sophomore Drew Jackson on a passed ball in the sixth increased Stanford’s advantage to 6-2, which it maintained until the finish.

For Saint Mary’s, the loss was its 14th straight, and its second loss in that stretch to the Cardinal. Just over a week ago, Stanford defeated the Gaels in a come-from-behind win that saw Mark Marquess’ unit win 7-6 on a walk-off single from Diekroeger. Saint Mary’s continues to spiral downwards after starting the season 13-13.

There will be little rest for the Cardinal — who have played five games in the last six days — as they take on Cal in a three-game series starting this Friday.

Contact Michael Peterson at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.