RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Both Hooper and Cotton have made nice catches in the middle of the field today. Could be a huge help to Hogan as season progresses.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Head diving coach Rick Schavone to retire after 36 years at Stanford

Rick Schavone announced his retirement from his position as Stanford’s head diving coach on Thursday. After manning the post for 36 years in a coaching career that stretched over five decades, Schavone, who owns a doctorate in sports psychology, cited age as the main factor in his decision.

“I knew the time was coming,” Schavone told GoStanford.com. “I’ll be 65 years old in a month, so I decided the time is now. I’ve been very lucky to spend 36 years at a great university coaching some amazing student-athletes. I want to thank all the Stanford divers for a wonderful rewarding journey. I hope that I’ve added something to their lives, for I can assure you they have to mine.”

Schavone leaves behind a rich coaching legacy, having been named the NCAA’s Diving Coach of the Year on four separate occasions, as well as receiving the same honor for the Pac-12 nine times. The former diving head coach at Princeton has also led seven Stanford divers to individual national championships, including two from 2012 Olympic bronze medalist and current junior Kristian Ipsen. In addition, Schavone has helped direct numerous national teams, most notably as a coach for the U.S. team at the 2012 Olympics and the 2013 FINA World Championships.

It is unclear whether Schavone will continue to teach his popular Sports Psychology class beyond this year, or who will replace him as head of the diving program. What is evident, however, is that his name will not soon be forgotten in the lore of Stanford swimming and diving.

“Rick has achieved so much greatness as a coach for not only Stanford but at the national and international level,” Director of Men’s Swimming Ted Knapp told GoStanford.com on Thursday. “His admiration extends throughout the entire diving community. But not only do I admire him for his coaching accomplishments and the legacy he leaves here at Stanford, I more importantly respect and honor him as a person. You could not ask for a better person to be a friend, colleague and mentor. He will be missed in many, many ways.”

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 245 and is the men's and women's golf writer. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.