RT @VihanL: Stanford has 4 TDs this half. That's in spite of two first quarter interceptions. Not too shabby: 2 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Ruling on the field stands as called. Touchdown Stanford! Williamson makes it 28-7 Cardinal. The offense has awoken. About time too.: 3 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
I'd much, much rather see a pass to a TE on the flat (a la WSU game) than the push with Skov. Just not a fan.: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Touchdown Pat Skov on the goal-line power push. Still not a huge fan of the play, but it works. Stanford now up 27-7 with PAT to come.: 5 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stat of the day: Stanford is 4-of-6 on third downs. That's more like the Stanford offense of old that we know and love.: 6 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Christian McCaffrey very, very disappointed in himself for not getting a touchdown. Breaking a sure tackle just isn't enough for him.: 7 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
So when Stanford is sniffing the red zone, then we take out the tight ends? Don't get it.: 7 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Taboada with a huge gain after Hogan finds a weak spot in the zone. Fumble, but Cajuste recovers. Stanford on the move.: 8 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal outgaining Beavers 232-69 already. How impressive has this defense been?: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford's defense holds on fourth down, and the offense gets the ball back with 5 minutes in the half.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Head diving coach Rick Schavone to retire after 36 years at Stanford

Rick Schavone announced his retirement from his position as Stanford’s head diving coach on Thursday. After manning the post for 36 years in a coaching career that stretched over five decades, Schavone, who owns a doctorate in sports psychology, cited age as the main factor in his decision.

“I knew the time was coming,” Schavone told GoStanford.com. “I’ll be 65 years old in a month, so I decided the time is now. I’ve been very lucky to spend 36 years at a great university coaching some amazing student-athletes. I want to thank all the Stanford divers for a wonderful rewarding journey. I hope that I’ve added something to their lives, for I can assure you they have to mine.”

Schavone leaves behind a rich coaching legacy, having been named the NCAA’s Diving Coach of the Year on four separate occasions, as well as receiving the same honor for the Pac-12 nine times. The former diving head coach at Princeton has also led seven Stanford divers to individual national championships, including two from 2012 Olympic bronze medalist and current junior Kristian Ipsen. In addition, Schavone has helped direct numerous national teams, most notably as a coach for the U.S. team at the 2012 Olympics and the 2013 FINA World Championships.

It is unclear whether Schavone will continue to teach his popular Sports Psychology class beyond this year, or who will replace him as head of the diving program. What is evident, however, is that his name will not soon be forgotten in the lore of Stanford swimming and diving.

“Rick has achieved so much greatness as a coach for not only Stanford but at the national and international level,” Director of Men’s Swimming Ted Knapp told GoStanford.com on Thursday. “His admiration extends throughout the entire diving community. But not only do I admire him for his coaching accomplishments and the legacy he leaves here at Stanford, I more importantly respect and honor him as a person. You could not ask for a better person to be a friend, colleague and mentor. He will be missed in many, many ways.”

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 246 and is the men's and women's golf writer. He also writes on NCAA-related matters. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger