And with Hogan throwing two picks, a 28-7 lead is looking pretty darn good right about now.: 21 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Meanwhile Stanford cooly leading in offense 330-84 yards.: 23 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Williamson wide right from 26 yards. Nothing going the poor guy's way right now.: 23 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This is almost exactly the end of the half Stanford wanted. It got its shots to the end zone in, ran a good hurry-up, and almost got points.: 24 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Apparently Zach Hoffpauir is hurt and left the field with trainers after that last possession.: 26 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Boy, have I been waiting a while to write that last sentence.: 27 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan is just really, really in his rhythm right now and he's just finding all of his guys in space. Offense firing on all cylinders.: 27 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Wait what is this Stanford actually knows how to run a 2-minute drill?: 28 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford's defense parties in Sean Mannion's face, and Stanford has 1:25 left to drive down the field before the halftime break.: 29 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Meanwhile OSU has 12 rushes for 2 yards.: 32 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s tennis completes perfect regular-season road record

The No. 7 Stanford women’s tennis team (16-1, 8-1 Pac-12) stayed perfect on the road as they swept past Oregon (7-12, 1-7 Pac-12) and No. 47 Washington State (17-10, 2-7 Pac-12) for their final away matches of the season this past weekend.

The weekend began in Eugene on Friday, where the No. 7 Cardinal snagged their 10th shutout of the season against the Ducks. After a rainy winter and early spring, it was just the first time this year that Oregon had played on its outdoor courts. The outdoor opener was sour for the Ducks, as Stanford quickly leapt out to a 4-0 lead for an overall victory, ending the other matches in progress.

Freshman Caroline Doyle (above) (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Freshman Caroline Doyle (above) is ranked No. 41 in the nation and picked up a singles win against the Oregon Ducks. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Stanford’s lineup was significantly different Friday, with No. 4 senior Kristie Ahn, who normally plays on court one for the Cardinal, sitting out. Senior Amelia Herring stepped into her place with freshman Carol Zhao on the number two doubles court, while sophomore Lindsey Kostas filled the sixth spot in the singles lineup in place of Ahn.

The Cardinal won every match in straight sets against the Ducks, and would have been poised to win all seven if the teams had not ceased play at four. After taking the doubles point, No. 41 Caroline Doyle started off the singles wins on court number five. She was followed by No. 22 Zhao’s win on court two, and No. 28 freshman Taylor Davidson’s 6-0, 6-2 victory on court three to finish the day.

The following day found Stanford in Pullman, Wash., to face Washington State for the Cardinal’s final road match of the season. They stayed perfect in Pullman, beating the Cougars 4-0 overall for their 11th shutout of the year.

Though the matches moved indoors during the second sets, the Cardinal pushed past the Cougars with ease. During doubles play, the team dropped just three games between its two winning pairs to go up 1-0 against the Cougars. Ahn was back at her regular number one doubles spot with Zhao, though the pair did not complete their match before doubles play ended.

On the singles courts, Saturday was much the same as Friday. No. 47 sophomore Krista Hardebeck secured the first win, followed by Davidson on court three and Zhao on court two to clinch the match.

Kostas remained in the lineup once more and led WSU’s Dajana Ognejenovic 6-0, 2-3 at the time the match stopped.

The freshmen also continued to display their dominance this weekend. Together, the three have lost just 11 singles matches all year.

WSU faced a particularly tough slate this weekend, as it began with a 0-4 loss to No. 6 California at 9 a.m. before facing the Cardinal for a repeat result at 2 p.m. later that same day.

Stanford has just one game remaining this season against Cal, who currently holds the lead in the Pac-12 standings. The Cardinal already took down the Bears 5-2 earlier this season in Berkeley, but Cal has been on a hot streak after beating both No. 2 UCLA and No. 13 USC a few weekends ago. The winner of next Saturday’s Stanford-Cal dual match will almost certainly win the regular season Pac-12 title before the conference tournament starts on April 24.

The Cardinal face off against the Golden Bears on Saturday at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The match will begin at noon.

Contact Fiona Noonan at fnoonan ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger