RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s lacrosse faces UC-Davis to begin final stretch of season

As the Stanford women’s lacrosse team approaches their last regular-season weekend, the No. 12 Cardinal (10-2, 4-1 MPSF) will face UC-Davis (6-7, 1-5) for a midweek Tuesday matchup. It will be the second game of a crucial four-game stretch to wrap up the season before the MPSF Championships and NCAA Tournament take place in May.

Returning from success in Eugene, Ore., the Cardinal hope to win again this week and build off of the momentum of a big conference victory. Last Friday, Stanford had a formidable performance, winning 15-7 against Oregon and its powerful offense, which were previously undefeated in the MPSF. Lucy Dikeou, a sophomore midfielder, had four goals and led the attack along with freshman attacker Kelsey Murray. Dikeou has scored ten of her team-best 21 goals in the past three games, including a career-high four goals against the Ducks. Hannah Farr, a junior midfielder, also contributed six draw controls, two ground balls and one goal.

Senior defender Megan Lerner (above) ... (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com)

Senior defender Megan Lerner (above) has recorded 28 ground balls and 30 draw controls this season after earning All-MPSF First Team honors last season. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com)

Defensively, senior defender Megan Lerner, who was an All-MPSF First Team Selection last year, contributed five ground balls and played a key leadership role along with senior goalie Lyndsey Munoz, who had six saves against Oregon. Lerner also caused three turnovers.

This week, the Cardinal will take on UC-Davis. For the Aggies, junior midfielder Elizabeth Landry with 34 goals, twelve assists and 51 draw controls this season will lead the attack along with freshman attacker Melissa Kellan, who has 22 goals. Senior midfielder Carly Voris also has 20 goals, 28 ground balls and 29 draw controls on the season. Also look for offensive contributions from sophomore midfielder Mary Doyle, who has eleven goals, 30 ground balls and 32 draw controls this season.

The Aggies’ defense will be led by junior goalie Kai Murphy and her 63 saves this season and senior defender Rachael Mack, who has eleven ground balls. Additionally, junior midfielder Sara Quero has 15 ground balls and 11 draw controls. Junior defender Allie Lehner has also contributed 26 ground balls and five draw controls this season to the nation’s 47th-ranked defense, which is averaging 10 goals allowed per game.

In the Aggies’ last game against Oregon, a common opponent with the Cardinal, they lost 8-4 despite Landry, Voris, Doyle and sophomore Courtney Neff each scoring goals for UC-Davis. Goalkeeper Jordan Majka posted seven saves and held the Ducks to only one goal in the second half but the Aggies were out-shot by a 26-14 margin, including 17-6 before halftime. The Aggies also committed 17 turnovers to the Ducks’ 11, leading to the tough loss.

In order for Stanford to have success this week, it will need to look to its senior leadership on defense and aggressiveness on offense. Senior defender Meg Lerner has played a paramount role in solidifying the Cardinal defense this year with her 28 ground balls and 30 draw controls this season. Munoz, who has 61 saves this season will anchor the defense with Lerner.

Offensively, look to Dikeou and Farr, each with 21 goals this season, to lead the scoring charge. Dikeou has posted 19 ground balls and 22 draw controls and Farr has posted 24 ground balls and 27 draw controls. In addition, look to seniors Anna Kim, with nine goals and five assists, and Rachel Ozer, with 19 goals and 11 assists, to lead the offense.

The Cardinal take on UC-Davis on Tuesday at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium at 7 p.m.

Contact Kristina Bassi at kbassi ‘at’ stanford.edu.