Ogwumike wins 2014 John R. Wooden Award

Senior forward and consensus All-American Chiney Ogwumike was named the recipient of the 2014 John R. Wooden Award on Friday, becoming both the first Stanford player and the first Pac-12 player to receive the honor.

(MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was honored with the 2014 John R. Wooden Award last Friday. She will leave Stanford as the Pac-12’s all-time leading scorer with 2,737 points and rebounder with 1,567 career boards. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

The Wooden Award has been awarded to the most outstanding player of the season in men’s basketball since 1977 and was extended to women’s basketball in 2004. Ogwumike succeeds Baylor standout Brittney Griner as the recipient of the award.

In addition to the Wooden Award, Ogwumike also earned both the Pac-12 Player of the Year and the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year awards after leading the Stanford team to a 33-4 record and an appearance in the Final Four in her final year on the team. She will add the award to a distinguished résumé after also having been named the Capital One Academic All-American of the Year and Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Ogwumike will depart Stanford as the Pac-12’s all-time leading scorer with 2,737 points and rebounder with 1,567 career boards. Her 967 points this season is also a Pac-12 single-season record.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.