RT @dohyoungpark: Check out our full coverage of the #2016NFLDraft for the @StanfordFball hopefuls here. Will be updated in real time. http…: 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Ogwumike wins 2014 John R. Wooden Award

Senior forward and consensus All-American Chiney Ogwumike was named the recipient of the 2014 John R. Wooden Award on Friday, becoming both the first Stanford player and the first Pac-12 player to receive the honor.

(MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was honored with the 2014 John R. Wooden Award last Friday. She will leave Stanford as the Pac-12’s all-time leading scorer with 2,737 points and rebounder with 1,567 career boards. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

The Wooden Award has been awarded to the most outstanding player of the season in men’s basketball since 1977 and was extended to women’s basketball in 2004. Ogwumike succeeds Baylor standout Brittney Griner as the recipient of the award.

In addition to the Wooden Award, Ogwumike also earned both the Pac-12 Player of the Year and the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year awards after leading the Stanford team to a 33-4 record and an appearance in the Final Four in her final year on the team. She will add the award to a distinguished résumé after also having been named the Capital One Academic All-American of the Year and Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Ogwumike will depart Stanford as the Pac-12’s all-time leading scorer with 2,737 points and rebounder with 1,567 career boards. Her 967 points this season is also a Pac-12 single-season record.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a sports desk editor, copy editor and angry uncle that leads The Daily's football coverage. Do-Hyoung is a proud three-time winner of the "Least Likely to Actually Have Friends Outside The Daily" Award and spends most of his free time being a thorn in the sports editors' side while they attempt to do actual work. He is the Stanford correspondent for Sports Illustrated's Campus Rush, will cover the Twins for MLB.com this summer and is a senior from St. Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. Contact him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.