20 mins away from 8th-seeded @StanfordMSoccer and 9th-seeded Ohio St. facing off with spot in Elite 8 on the line. Tune in here for updates.: 8 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Kelly on Clemson, Stanford losses: "We're two plays away from being undefeated and the number one team in the country.": 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Brian Kelly: "We had a number of opportunities in the red zone. It's never about one series or one play, it's a culmination of the game.": 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"One word: gritty." -Shaw on Shittu, Thomas and Scarlett and the way the DL has played this year: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw on receiving corps: "They've been blocking extremely well, and they know when called upon, they're gonna make plays.": 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Hogan to Shaw after getting the game ball: "Thanks coach. We gotta play USC next week.": 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"Kevin did a great job of keeping his emotions in check and just playing great football. I can't say how proud of him I am." -Shaw: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"You're talking about a walk-on kicker that came in, earned his stripes. He's become one of the best kickers in the nation."Shaw on Ukropina: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Ogwumike, Ruef selected in 2014 WNBA Draft

On Monday afternoon, senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was selected by the Connecticut Sun with the first overall pick of the 2014 WNBA Draft, becoming the second Stanford player in the last three years after older sister Nneka Ogwumike to be taken as the top pick in the annual professional draft. Additionally, with the seventh pick of the third round, the Seattle Storm drafted fifth-year senior forward Mikaela Ruef.

Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike (above) became the fourth Stanford athlete in the last three years to be selected as the first overall pick in a professional athletic draft after Mark Appel ’13, Andrew Luck ’12 and older sister Nnemkadi Ogwumike ’12. (BOB DREBIN/

The honor for Ogwumike comes less than a week after she received the 2014 John R. Wooden Award last Friday as the most outstanding player of the season in NCAA women’s basketball. The two-time consensus All-American was also the Capital One Academic All-American of the Year and the Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

This past season, Ogwumike became the Pac-12’s all-time leading scorer and rebounder, as well as the Pac-12 record holder for the most points scored in a single season and highest single-season field goals made. In doing so, she captained the Cardinal to a 33-4 record and a Final Four berth at the NCAA Tournament.

Ogwumike became the Cardinal’s 11th first-round WNBA Draft pick in school history and the sixth such pick in the last seven years. She also joins Mark Appel ‘13 of baseball, Andrew Luck ‘12 of football and Nneka Ogwumike as the fourth Cardinal athlete to be selected first overall in a professional sports draft in the last three years.

This season, Ruef helped power the Cardinal to the Final Four as she won the Stanford regional’s Most Outstanding Player, averaging 14 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in Sweet 16 and Elite Eight wins over Penn State and North Carolina, respectively. She started 36 of the 37 games this season, developing into a great rebounder and another scoring threat on the post to complement Ogwumike.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a Managing Editor of Staff Development, lead football writer and copy editor at The Stanford Daily. He also writes about Stanford football for Sports Illustrated's new college football site, Campus Rush. In his three years, he has written primarily football, baseball, soccer, tennis, swimming and water polo, and has covered a Rose Bowl, a Super Regional run and three national championships. Do-Hyoung is a senior that is obnoxiously proud of being from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at'