RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike, Ruef selected in 2014 WNBA Draft

On Monday afternoon, senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was selected by the Connecticut Sun with the first overall pick of the 2014 WNBA Draft, becoming the second Stanford player in the last three years after older sister Nneka Ogwumike to be taken as the top pick in the annual professional draft. Additionally, with the seventh pick of the third round, the Seattle Storm drafted fifth-year senior forward Mikaela Ruef.

(BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike (above) became the fourth Stanford athlete in the last three years to be selected as the first overall pick in a professional athletic draft after Mark Appel ’13, Andrew Luck ’12 and older sister Nnemkadi Ogwumike ’12. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

The honor for Ogwumike comes less than a week after she received the 2014 John R. Wooden Award last Friday as the most outstanding player of the season in NCAA women’s basketball. The two-time consensus All-American was also the Capital One Academic All-American of the Year and the Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

This past season, Ogwumike became the Pac-12’s all-time leading scorer and rebounder, as well as the Pac-12 record holder for the most points scored in a single season and highest single-season field goals made. In doing so, she captained the Cardinal to a 33-4 record and a Final Four berth at the NCAA Tournament.

Ogwumike became the Cardinal’s 11th first-round WNBA Draft pick in school history and the sixth such pick in the last seven years. She also joins Mark Appel ‘13 of baseball, Andrew Luck ‘12 of football and Nneka Ogwumike as the fourth Cardinal athlete to be selected first overall in a professional sports draft in the last three years.

This season, Ruef helped power the Cardinal to the Final Four as she won the Stanford regional’s Most Outstanding Player, averaging 14 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in Sweet 16 and Elite Eight wins over Penn State and North Carolina, respectively. She started 36 of the 37 games this season, developing into a great rebounder and another scoring threat on the post to complement Ogwumike.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger