RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s gymnastics takes third at NCAA Championships

No. 4 Stanford men’s gymnastics finished another successful season with a third-place showing at the NCAA Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich., over the weekend with a team score of 436.300, which placed it behind first-place Michigan (445.050) and second-place Oklahoma (441.650). The result marked the eighth top-three national finish in the last nine years for the Cardinal.

Freshman Akash Modi finished second with an all-around score of 89.200 behind only Michigan's Sam Mikulak at the NCAA Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich. this past weekend. At the NCAA Individual Event Finals the next day he earned All-America honors in both the pommel horse and the parallel bars.

Freshman Akash Modi (above) finished second with an all-around score of 89.200 behind only Michigan’s Sam Mikulak at the NCAA Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich. this past weekend. At the NCAA Individual Event Finals the next day, he earned All-America honors in both the pommel horse and the parallel bars. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphoto.com)

Freshman Akash Modi further cemented his status as one of the top all-around gymnasts in the nation, as his all-around score of 89.200 earned him second place at the event behind only Michigan’s Sam Mikulak.

Although the Cardinal had strong performances in both the floor (74.150) and parallel bars (74.900), weak showings in both the pommel horse (70.800) and high bar (70.850) dragged Stanford’s overall showing down and stopped it from keeping pace with Michigan, which surpassed the 75.000 mark on the floor, pommel horse and parallel bars to propel itself far ahead of the field. In comparison, Oklahoma had two events in which it scored 75.000 or higher while Stanford had none.

Also at the team event, five Cardinal gymnasts advanced to Saturday’s NCAA Individual Event Finals with their top-10 finishes in their events: junior Brian Knott on parallel bars, junior Michael Levy on floor, Modi on pommel horse and parallel bars, senior Sean Senters on floor and vault and sophomore Dennis Zaremski on rings and parallel bars.

At the individual finals, all five qualifying gymnasts earned All-America honors with successful finishes in all of their events, with the only exception being Zaremski, whose performance on the parallel bars fell just short. However, the sophomore’s fifth-place finish in the rings, the other event that he qualified in, was more than enough to secure his second career All-American honor.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. However, his allegiance still lies with the sports section, of which he was at the helm before yielding to a peaceful transition of power to Ashley Westhem. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.