79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Miscues and sloppy passing from Stanford cue another BYU run, and the lead is back to 9 at 68-59 with 6 minutes to go.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s gymnastics seeks first national title since 2011

The No. 4 Stanford men’s gymnastics team (8-4) will begin competition at the NCAA Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich. today as it seeks to bring home the sixth national title in program history and its first since 2011.

(HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com)

All-American redshirt senior Paul Hichwa (above) scored a career high to 15.450 on the high bars to win the MPSF title before heading to NCAAs. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com)

After a second-place finish at the MPSF Championships behind only No. 1 Oklahoma on March 29, the Cardinal will be looking to finish in the top three of the first session in order to advance to Friday’s team finals. Standing in the Cardinal’s way of doing that, however, is a tough field consisting of Oklahoma, No. 5 Illinois, No. 8 Iowa, No. 9 California and No. 12 William and Mary.

The last time Stanford faced both Illinois and Iowa was in last year’s NCAA Championships, when the Cardinal finished third, ahead of both the Illini and Hawkeyes, which finished sixth and fifth respectively.

Although top-ranked Oklahoma got the better of Stanford at the MPSFs two weekends ago, the Cardinal have shown themselves capable of toppling the top team in the nation. They did just that in early February at the Metroplex Challenge, when they defeated the Sooners 445.150-442.400 to bounce back from a defeat a week earlier. Stanford and Oklahoma have met three times this season, with the Sooners emerging on top twice. Stanford and Cal have also met in four meets this year, with the Cardinal edging the Golden Bears in all four.

Leading the Cardinal charge into the NCAAs will be freshman sensation Akash Modi, who won MPSF Gymnast of the Year honors after a tremendous first collegiate season in which he claimed a pair of MPSF titles in the all-around and parallel bars as he led the team with 13 individual victories. He will look to be the next all-around force on the team after the graduation of Eddie Penev ’13 and will try to replicate Penev’s success at the national level.

Outside of Modi, the rest of the Cardinal squad has also been very solid, leading to top-5 national rankings in the pommel horse (5th), rings (3rd), vault (4th), parallel bars (2nd) and high bar (2nd).

Fifth-year senior Paul Hichwa was a significant part of the Cardinal’s success on high bar as he claimed an MPSF title in the event with a career-high 15.450. He will look to improve on his 14.300 at the NCAA Semifinals last season, which placed him ninth and was significantly below his season average in the event.

Success on rings will also not be a problem if sophomore Dennis Zaremski can carry through his success from the MPSFs into the NCAAs. At the conference championships, Zaremski finished as the runner-up in the rings with a career-high 16.150, which would have been good enough to win the individual national title in the event last year.

Senior Michael Levy on floor, senior Sean Senters on vault and junior Brian Knott will also be looking to build off of strong performances at the conference championships to propel the Cardinal to a Friday final berth.

With a top-three finish in today’s semifinals, Stanford would advance to a tough final that will likely include defending national champion No. 2 Michigan, to whom the Cardinal have already suffered a defeat to earlier this season at home. The first session of the NCAA Championships will begin at 10 a.m., with the finals to take place at 4 p.m. tomorrow and the individual finals set to start at 4 p.m. on Saturday.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.