Next up for @StanfordMBB: No. 4 Kansas on Saturday.: 1 week ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Williams, Solomon highlight strong weekend for Stanford track and field

With over 3,300 athletes converging on the Farm for the Stanford Invitational on Friday and Saturday, sophomore Kristyn Williams led a fantastic Stanford showing by posting a top-five national time in the 400 meters as Cardinal athletes posted personal bests all around the board.

Sophomore sprinter Kristyn Williams (above)

Sophomore sprinter Kristyn Williams (above) blazed a 52.70 in the quarter mile at this past weekend’s Stanford Invitational. The mark is the fifth-fastest time in the country. (NICK SALAZAR/The Stanford Daily)

Williams’ time of 52.70 was the third-fastest time in school history in the 400 and was fifth in the country up to this point behind four other times that all also occurred over the weekend. Although Williams had a time that would have been the fastest in the nation before this past weekend, strong performances in the Florida Relays pushed the standout sophomore behind in the opening meets of the outdoor season.

Junior Brianna Bain contributed the third-longest javelin throw in the nation with her 180-foot-5-inch throw, which represented the second-longest throw of her career and won the event at the Invitational by nearly 19 feet.

In the distances, fifth-year senior Tyler Stutzman ran a 3:42.45 in the 1500-meter event — the current fastest time in the country — as he pushed to a victory despite not having had eligibility in the indoor season, which preceded the start of this outdoor season. Stutzman also set a new personal record in the 800 on Saturday.

While the majority of Stanford’s team competed at the Stanford Invitational, sophomore Steven Solomon was halfway around the world in his home country of Australia competing at the Australian Athletics Championships. With his time of 45.36 seconds in the 400, Solomon won his third national title and will again be in good position to be named to the Australian national team.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 honestly isn't quite sure what he does for The Stanford Daily anymore, apart from the fact that he still writes a lot about football, gets cranky at the sports editors and scares away the new freshmen. He also writes for (or has written for) The Bootleg, Sports Illustrated and MLB.com and has been a four-time Managing Editor at The Daily. After graduating in June with degrees in Chemical Engineering and Computer Science, he's begrudgingly staying on for his master's in Chemical Engineering as well. Please feel free to bother him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.