Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Williams, Solomon highlight strong weekend for Stanford track and field

With over 3,300 athletes converging on the Farm for the Stanford Invitational on Friday and Saturday, sophomore Kristyn Williams led a fantastic Stanford showing by posting a top-five national time in the 400 meters as Cardinal athletes posted personal bests all around the board.

Sophomore sprinter Kristyn Williams (above)

Sophomore sprinter Kristyn Williams (above) blazed a 52.70 in the quarter mile at this past weekend’s Stanford Invitational. The mark is the fifth-fastest time in the country. (NICK SALAZAR/The Stanford Daily)

Williams’ time of 52.70 was the third-fastest time in school history in the 400 and was fifth in the country up to this point behind four other times that all also occurred over the weekend. Although Williams had a time that would have been the fastest in the nation before this past weekend, strong performances in the Florida Relays pushed the standout sophomore behind in the opening meets of the outdoor season.

Junior Brianna Bain contributed the third-longest javelin throw in the nation with her 180-foot-5-inch throw, which represented the second-longest throw of her career and won the event at the Invitational by nearly 19 feet.

In the distances, fifth-year senior Tyler Stutzman ran a 3:42.45 in the 1500-meter event — the current fastest time in the country — as he pushed to a victory despite not having had eligibility in the indoor season, which preceded the start of this outdoor season. Stutzman also set a new personal record in the 800 on Saturday.

While the majority of Stanford’s team competed at the Stanford Invitational, sophomore Steven Solomon was halfway around the world in his home country of Australia competing at the Australian Athletics Championships. With his time of 45.36 seconds in the 400, Solomon won his third national title and will again be in good position to be named to the Australian national team.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.