RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Williams, Solomon highlight strong weekend for Stanford track and field

With over 3,300 athletes converging on the Farm for the Stanford Invitational on Friday and Saturday, sophomore Kristyn Williams led a fantastic Stanford showing by posting a top-five national time in the 400 meters as Cardinal athletes posted personal bests all around the board.

Sophomore sprinter Kristyn Williams (above)

Sophomore sprinter Kristyn Williams (above) blazed a 52.70 in the quarter mile at this past weekend’s Stanford Invitational. The mark is the fifth-fastest time in the country. (NICK SALAZAR/The Stanford Daily)

Williams’ time of 52.70 was the third-fastest time in school history in the 400 and was fifth in the country up to this point behind four other times that all also occurred over the weekend. Although Williams had a time that would have been the fastest in the nation before this past weekend, strong performances in the Florida Relays pushed the standout sophomore behind in the opening meets of the outdoor season.

Junior Brianna Bain contributed the third-longest javelin throw in the nation with her 180-foot-5-inch throw, which represented the second-longest throw of her career and won the event at the Invitational by nearly 19 feet.

In the distances, fifth-year senior Tyler Stutzman ran a 3:42.45 in the 1500-meter event — the current fastest time in the country — as he pushed to a victory despite not having had eligibility in the indoor season, which preceded the start of this outdoor season. Stutzman also set a new personal record in the 800 on Saturday.

While the majority of Stanford’s team competed at the Stanford Invitational, sophomore Steven Solomon was halfway around the world in his home country of Australia competing at the Australian Athletics Championships. With his time of 45.36 seconds in the 400, Solomon won his third national title and will again be in good position to be named to the Australian national team.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. However, his allegiance still lies with the sports section, of which he was at the helm before yielding to a peaceful transition of power to Ashley Westhem. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.