RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Vaculik and Morgan lead women’s gymnastics to NCAA Championships

The No. 10 Stanford women’s gymnastics team used a season-best push at the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional on Saturday to finish in second place in a six-team field and advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in program history and for the seventh time in the last eight years.

Redshirt junior Kristina Vaculik (above)

Redshirt junior Kristina Vaculik (above) set a personal record in the bars event at the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional, scoring 9.950 to anchor the Card’s second-place team performance. (FRANK CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

With the top two teams from the regional advancing, Stanford tied a season high with its score of 197.275 and finished behind just first-place LSU, which tied the best score in the NCAA this year with 198.375.

“It was an outstanding team effort today,” said head coach Kristen Smyth to GoStanford.com. “The team showed grit, they fought for everything and they did a great job of covering each other when they needed to. We are definitely peaking at the right time.”

Senior Kristina Vaculik led the way with a third-place finish in the all-around with a 39.475 to accompany a career-high 9.950 on the bars to tie for the regional title with junior Samantha Shapiro.

Senior Shona Morgan also had a fantastic day, leading off in the vault, beam and floor and emerging with a pair of third-place finishes in the first two while finishing in a tie for ninth place in the floor. Morgan, who was competing in her fourth career NCAA Regional, rounded off a sweep of the top three in bars for the Cardinal with a 9.900 to equal her personal best.

The Cardinal will next compete in the NCAA Championships in Alabama starting on April 18.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has previously served as managing editor of sports and still writes for the football, women's soccer and men's water polo beats. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger