RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wilson wins Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman of the Year

The Pac-12 announced on Thursday that redshirt freshman Jim Wilson has been named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after an outstanding campaign in which he helped pace the Cardinal to the most dual wins in a season in school history.

Stanford's Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford’s Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Wilson finished with a 35-8 overall record, including a Pac-12 title in the 165-pound weight class and a 2-2 showing as the No. 16 seed in his weight class at the NCAA Championships. With his 35 wins, he tied former NCAA champion Matt Gentry ’04 for the second-most wins in a freshman season in program history, while his Pac-12 title made him the first Stanford freshman to win a conference title since 1993.

During the regular season, Wilson at one point owned a 15-match winning streak — the team’s longest streak of the season — while starting all but two meets at 165 pounds.

As a true freshman in 2012-3, Wilson competed unattached at 165 pounds, earning a 15-3 record and a title at the Roadrunner Open while finishing first at the California Collegiate Open.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. Even though he is finally able to get into R-rated movies now, he instead chooses to spend his time writing half the sports section every week. Do-Hyoung is a sophomore originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.