RT @dohyoungpark: Hearing from camp that senior LB @CraigJones_30 has been put on full scholarship. Nobody doubts for a second he's earned …: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wilson wins Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman of the Year

The Pac-12 announced on Thursday that redshirt freshman Jim Wilson has been named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after an outstanding campaign in which he helped pace the Cardinal to the most dual wins in a season in school history.

Stanford's Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford’s Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Wilson finished with a 35-8 overall record, including a Pac-12 title in the 165-pound weight class and a 2-2 showing as the No. 16 seed in his weight class at the NCAA Championships. With his 35 wins, he tied former NCAA champion Matt Gentry ’04 for the second-most wins in a freshman season in program history, while his Pac-12 title made him the first Stanford freshman to win a conference title since 1993.

During the regular season, Wilson at one point owned a 15-match winning streak — the team’s longest streak of the season — while starting all but two meets at 165 pounds.

As a true freshman in 2012-3, Wilson competed unattached at 165 pounds, earning a 15-3 record and a title at the Roadrunner Open while finishing first at the California Collegiate Open.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a Managing Editor of Staff Development, lead football writer and copy editor at The Stanford Daily. He also writes about Stanford football for Sports Illustrated's new college football site, Campus Rush. In his three years, he has written primarily football, baseball, soccer, tennis, swimming and water polo, and has covered a Rose Bowl, a Super Regional run and three national championships. Do-Hyoung is a senior that is obnoxiously proud of being from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.