RT @wilnerhotline: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery questionable for opener vs UC Davis b/c arm injury. Per HC David Shaw: "It will be close for U…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wilson wins Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman of the Year

The Pac-12 announced on Thursday that redshirt freshman Jim Wilson has been named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after an outstanding campaign in which he helped pace the Cardinal to the most dual wins in a season in school history.

Stanford's Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford’s Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Wilson finished with a 35-8 overall record, including a Pac-12 title in the 165-pound weight class and a 2-2 showing as the No. 16 seed in his weight class at the NCAA Championships. With his 35 wins, he tied former NCAA champion Matt Gentry ’04 for the second-most wins in a freshman season in program history, while his Pac-12 title made him the first Stanford freshman to win a conference title since 1993.

During the regular season, Wilson at one point owned a 15-match winning streak — the team’s longest streak of the season — while starting all but two meets at 165 pounds.

As a true freshman in 2012-3, Wilson competed unattached at 165 pounds, earning a 15-3 record and a title at the Roadrunner Open while finishing first at the California Collegiate Open.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. Even though he is finally able to get into R-rated movies now, he instead chooses to spend his time writing half the sports section every week. Do-Hyoung is a sophomore originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.