RT @alexaphilippou: Spent morning w/ @StanfordRowing to see HC Craig Amerkhanian in his element. Stay tuned for upcoming article & video fr…: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wilson wins Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman of the Year

The Pac-12 announced on Thursday that redshirt freshman Jim Wilson has been named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after an outstanding campaign in which he helped pace the Cardinal to the most dual wins in a season in school history.

Stanford's Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford’s Jim Wilson (right) was named the Pac-12 Wrestling Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after a season that saw him compile a 35-8 record. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Wilson finished with a 35-8 overall record, including a Pac-12 title in the 165-pound weight class and a 2-2 showing as the No. 16 seed in his weight class at the NCAA Championships. With his 35 wins, he tied former NCAA champion Matt Gentry ’04 for the second-most wins in a freshman season in program history, while his Pac-12 title made him the first Stanford freshman to win a conference title since 1993.

During the regular season, Wilson at one point owned a 15-match winning streak — the team’s longest streak of the season — while starting all but two meets at 165 pounds.

As a true freshman in 2012-3, Wilson competed unattached at 165 pounds, earning a 15-3 record and a title at the Roadrunner Open while finishing first at the California Collegiate Open.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He is currently serving his second non-consecutive term in that role, making him the new Miles Bennett-Smith of sorts. He's still not quite sure how to feel about this. He's also a two-time sports desk editor, a former head copy editor and proud winner of the "Least Likely to Actually Have Friends Outside The Daily" Award. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.