79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Vaculik, McNair aiming to push Stanford into NCAA Championships

The No. 10 Stanford women’s gymnastics team (19-4, 11-3 Pac-12) will head to Louisiana this weekend to compete in the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional, where it will hope to claim its seventh NCAA Championship berth in the last eight seasons.

It will mark the 31st consecutive NCAA Regional appearance for the Cardinal, who have claimed five regional titles in their history. Stanford has never failed to advance to the NCAA Championships after having competed in the Baton Rouge Regional — with the top two teams from each regional advancing to the national meet, Stanford finished second in 1999 and won the meet in 2008.

Senior Shona Morgan (above)

Senior gymnast Shona Morgan (above) will be competing in her fourth career NCAA regional meet this weekend in Baton Rouge, La. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

Stanford will compete against a field of five other teams featuring No. 3 LSU, No. 13 Auburn, No. 21 Arizona, Kent State and Iowa State. Of those squads, the only team that Stanford has competed against this season is Arizona, which the Cardinal defeated in a dramatic come-from-behind win in mid-January.

LSU will be looking to earn its second consecutive regional title after emerging victorious in the Columbus Regional last season. Led by junior Rheagan Courville, who is ranked second in the country in the all-around, the Tigers finished their regular season with a 15-5 record and will be the top-seeded team at Sunday’s meet.

As the only other top-10 team competing in Baton Rouge this weekend, the Cardinal will aim to build on a season in which it defeated 11 top-25 teams and three teams in the top 10 before finishing a narrow second at the Pac-12 Championships.

Senior Kristina Vaculik, who led Stanford with 15 individual victories on the season and earned first-team all-conference honors in the all-around, will lead the Cardinal into the meet. Vaculik also earned a third-place finish in the bars at the Pac-12 Championships after claiming four individual victories out of the five events in a victory over Cal in early March.

Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Nicolette McNair will also be looking to make a big impact for the Cardinal after a breakout first collegiate season in which she earned six individual victories and hit 94 percent of her routines on vault, bars and beam. She has only gotten stronger as the season has progressed and will be riding the momentum of a career-best 9.950 on bars that clinched her second place finish in the event at the Pac-12 Championships. She was ultimately rewarded for her efforts with first-team all-conference selections in both the bars and vault.

Stanford will also bring lots of experience to the table at the meet, with nine gymnasts that have competed in previous regionals — including senior Shona Morgan, who will be competing in her fourth regional lineup — and six that competed in the NCAA Super Six in 2012, including all-conference second team selections Amanda Spinner and Samantha Shapiro.

The meet will take place on Saturday starting at 2 p.m. in Baton Rouge, La.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027@stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.