RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford extends win streak to eight against Pacific

Stanford men’s volleyball (17-1) hosted Pacific on Thursday night in the Tigers’ final match at Maples Pavilion, as Pacific recently announced that this will be its final season in the sport. The Cardinal marked the historic night by sweeping Pacific 25-17, 25-18, 25-21, to win their eighth match in a row. Stanford is continuing to dominate its opponents with aggressive offense and is looking confident and strong heading into the final three matches of the season.

Senior outside hitter Steven Irvin (above) is second on the Cardinal with 3.38 kills per set. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

While the first set started off close and was tied at 8-8, the Cardinal quickly took control of the points and pulled ahead. Stanford won the first set 25-17, going on a six-point run to close out the set.

Stanford hit an impressive .385 and senior outside hitter Steven Irvin had 4 kills in the set. While the second set also started off slowly for Stanford and was once again tied at 8-8, an impressive blocking performance by the Cardinal gave Stanford the advantage. Pacific started to struggle and Stanford began to capitalize off Pacific’s unsteady offense, winning the set easily.

Pacific rallied back in the third set to gain a lead at 15-13, but ultimately Stanford’s offense proved too strong to withhold and the Cardinal retook the lead. Pacific made a critical attack error late in the match, putting the Cardinal up 20-19. In the end, Stanford won the match in three sets.

Stanford will play California Baptist in its final home match of the season tomorrow night. The Cardinal will celebrate their seniors, who will play for the last time in the incredible home environment that Maples provides.

The current seniors have been critical to the team’s success in the second half of the season by providing leadership and the ability to keep fighting after starting the season 9-7. California Baptist heads into the match 4-20 overall and only 2-18 in conference. It has not won since the beginning of March, losing its last eight matches to mirror the Cardinal’s own eight-match winning streak. As a team, the Lancers hit .278 and their offense is led by junior outside hitter Johannes Brink, who averages 4.05 kills per set.

Stanford’s Senior Night will begin at 7 p.m. at Maples Pavilion.

Contact Eliza Thompson at elizat ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger