79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s water polo topples top-ranked Trojans

The 2014 women’s water polo season was again expected to conclude in a hard-fought battle between USC and Stanford for the national championship after a star-studded Cardinal squad was felled in a four-overtime heartbreaker in last season’s NCAA title match.

Despite a stumble for No. 3 Stanford (16-1, 2-0 MPSF) at the UCI Invitational earlier this season, expectations of a championship meeting of the powerhouse teams were vindicated, with the Cardinal barreling through its schedule and No. 1 USC extending a winning streak that started last season to 27 matches. On Sunday at Avery Aquatic Center, the Cardinal emphatically snapped the Trojans’ (20-1, 5-1) streak as Stanford rode its exceptional defense to a 9-5 victory over the top-ranked team in the country.

Junior Cory Dodson (above) tied for the team lead with two goals against USC. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Junior Cory Dodson (above) tied for the team lead with two goals in the win against USC. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

With a Trojan offense that had been averaging 15.9 goals per match and a Stanford defense that had only been allowing six per match colliding in the pool, something had to give. And what gave on Sunday was the Trojan offense, which the Cardinal defense stifled and held to only five goals during the match.

Sophomore goalie Gabby Stone set a new career high with 17 saves, while the Cardinal defense buckled down to allow just two goals after the half.

While the USC offense scuffled throughout the match, Stanford was able to take advantage of a six-goal run spanning halftime to take an 8-3 lead that it would never look back from in the third period. Junior driver Cory Dodson shared the team lead with two goals in the match and began the Cardinal’s run with a goal to tie the game at 3 apiece and capping it off with a 3-on-2 goal to give the Cardinal a five-score advantage.

Sophomore driver Maggie Steffens also contributed two goals, including one in the first period as the Cardinal jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, to share the team lead in scoring.

The Cardinal will continue a tough stretch to close out its regular season as it moves forward into matchups against No. 5 Arizona State and No. 2 UCLA, both of which gave Stanford difficult matches in their last meetings with the Cardinal. While Arizona State fell just short of the upset as Stanford prevailed 11-10, UCLA was able to pull off the victory to hand Stanford its only defeat of the season.

Stanford will take on the Sun Devils at Avery Aquatic Center on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.