Class of 2018 admit rates lowest in University history

Montag Hall, undergraduate admissions office

Stanford admitted 2,138 students to the Class of 2018 in this year’s admissions cycle, producing – at 5.07 percent – the lowest admit rate in University history.

The University received a total of 42,167  applications this year, a record total and a 8.6 percent increase over last year’s figure of 38,828. Stanford accepted 748 students in December through the Office of Undergraduate Admission’s restrictive early action program and extended offers to 1,390 more applicants on March 28. A further 958 students have been placed on the waitlist.

Fewer students were admitted to the Class of 2018 than the Class of 2017, due to the increase in Stanford’s yield rate which has increased over 5 percent in the past four years, according to Colleen Lim M.A. ’80, Director of Undergraduate Admission. The decreased acceptance rate is due to fewer students being admitted from an increased application pool.

“Stanford’s reputation of excellence around the globe has most certainly impacted our application numbers,” Lim said. “As an example, on Wednesday, March 26, we posted a blog on our admission page to announce our decision release date –  in less than two days, the admissions blog has been visited by 9,166 people from 116 countries and all 50 states.”

Richard Shaw, Dean of Admission and Financial Aid, spoke of the uniqueness of the class, which features students from 50 states and 71 countries.

“Of course the beauty of these young people is that they truly represent the broad and deep diversity of the world,” Shaw said.

This year’s admit rate continues a trend of increasing selectivity in the University’s admissions process. The University extended offers to 5.7 percent of applicants in 2013, 6.6 percent in 2012 and 7.1 percent in 2011.

By March 28, a number of peer institutions had also released their acceptance rates for the Class of 2018.

Like Stanford, four of the Ivy League colleges — namely  Yale, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, and Cornell — reported their lowest admissions rates yet of 6.3, 7.3, 9.9, and 14 percent respectively. Meanwhile, Harvard and Columbia reported slightly increased acceptance rates of 5.9 and 6.9 percent respectively.

Admitted students have until May 1 to accept the University’s offer.

Contact Alex Zivkovic at aleksa ‘at’ stanford ‘dot’ edu.

About Alex Zivkovic

Alex Zivkovic is a Desk Editor for the news section who likes to cover stories on academics and student activism on campus. Alex is an undeclared freshman interested in social psychology and political science. He is from Irvine, California.
  • guest

think you mixed up princeton and yale at the end there (both the numbers and the links)

• Guest too

You need to correct your stats on other schools! Yale had it’s lowest admit rate ever at 6.26 %. Princeton’s rate rose.

• guest

almost fixed–yale went down, not up though

• Guest too

Hey editors, your article is still wrong. Yale did NOT report an increase in admit rate. It reported an all-time low admit rate!

• Joe Grisso

Wow, I hope I am admitted, but I will fully understand if I’m not! That’s tough!

• John

Would love to see Stanford report the percentage of legacies admitted like Princeton and other schools. However, my guess is they will never do that because the numbers are probably embarassingly high.

• Russell Scott Day

From what I know Elon Musk graduated from Stanford and hasn’t looked back. He considers himself an engineer which makes the school look as if it is unexcelled. Governments and winning leaders often call for engineers to help the nation. The US has not had success with leaders who where themselves engineers.

• Si Tanfu

They announced it a while ago. 20% of the student body is legacy in some way (1 in 5). Not embarrassingly high, if you ask me. Also, one possible reason why so many students admitted are legacies is that they are motivated since birth to attend a school like Stanford.

• Ken S

Along those lines, an interesting stat would be to compare the admit rate of of students whose parents attended any Ivy-class college to the admit rate of Stanford legacies. Then a better perspective on the legacy bias might be obtained, since you would be comparing Stanford legacies with other applicants of parents of similar academic backgrounds.

• jay112

FYI-Elon Musk is not a Stanford grad. He did his undergrad @ UPenn then headed to Stanford to begin PhD studies. He left very shortly after arriving to pursue his entrepreneurial interests.

• YQ

I believe Brown also had an all-time low admit rate.

• j

no their not…i can guarantee they’re not

• j

I can guarantee they are not..