Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford improves to 15-1, readies for USC showdown

The No. 3 Stanford women’s water polo team continued its stellar start to the season over the weekend, sweeping the San Diego schools to improve to 15-1 and maintain its dangerous run of form. This becomes increasingly important with the MPSF season starting in earnest on Sunday with a pivotal matchup against No.1 USC, who defeated the Cardinal in quadruple overtime in last year’s NCAA title game.

Sophomore driver Maggie Steffens led the Cardinal with six goals in its dominant wins against the San Diego Schools. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/StanfordPhoto.com)

Stanford looked comfortable with a 21-7 victory over No. 13 UC-San Diego (17-10) on Sunday before finishing the weekend with a 12-6 win over No. 20 San Diego State (16-10) on Monday. The Cardinal were paced by the play of sophomore driver Maggie Steffens, who scored a total of six goals over the weekend’s play.

The matchup against the UCSD Tritons was never really in doubt as Stanford took an 11-2 lead into halftime.

Although UCSD’s offense would pick up in the second half, Stanford’s own firepower was simply too dominant. Steffens led the team with four goals, but she was ably assisted by hat tricks from sophomore driver Anna Yelizarova, junior two-meter Ashley Grossman and junior driver Kiley Neushul.

Monday’s game against the Aztecs features more of the same, with the Cardinal jumping out to an early 9-1 lead. Yelizarova notched another hat trick, continuing her fantastic play throughout the season, and the Aztecs simply could not recover.

The Cardinal will now set their sights on their longtime nemesis in USC, who have cruised to a perfect 19-0 (4-0 MPSF) record and have won 26 straight games dating back to last season. The rivals will square off at Avery Aquatic Center on Sunday at 5 p.m., and the action will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Dylan Fugel at dfugel ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Dylan Fugel

Dylan Fugel '16 is a junior from Frankfurt, Germany by way of London, England, majoring in English. Things that he insists upon: that football refers to association football, that Iman Shumpert is the most underrated player in the NBA and that yes, he can do something with that English degree.