RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Kong takes home women’s epee title at NCAA Championships

Stanford sophomore Vivian Kong (right) won Stanford's first women's fencing title in 13 years on Friday. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Stanford sophomore Vivian Kong (right) won Stanford’s first women’s fencing title in 13 years on Friday. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Three Cardinal fencers shined at last week’s NCAA Fencing Championships in Columbus, Ohio, with sophomore Vivian Kong taking home the individual national title in women’s epee on Friday.

Kong’s finals win against senior teammate Francesca Bassa made her just the fifth Stanford women’s fencer to win an NCAA title, and the first since a stretch from 1998-2001 that saw Cardinal athletes win four such individual championships in as many years. Kong finished third in the epee at NCAAs in 2013.

On the men’s side, sophomore Alexander Massialas placed third in the foil on Saturday after earning the top seed entering the semifinals. Massialas took home first-team All-America honors for the second consecutive year.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.