RT @alexaphilippou: Behind @kohara19's goal yesterday was her impressive and historic career on the Farm for @StanfordWSoccer #USWNT http:/…: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
HUGE congrats to @kohara19, @ChristenPress & @ussoccer_wnt for beating #1 Germany & advancing to the World Cup finals! #USA #NerdNation: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @Pac12Networks: KELLEY O'HARA WENT TO STANFORD UNIVERSITY #BackThePac #USWNT #SheBelieves: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Former Stanford player @kohara19 with the goal to put @ussoccer_wnt up by 2, likely sealing the win for the U.S.!!: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Kong takes home women’s epee title at NCAA Championships

Stanford sophomore Vivian Kong (right) won Stanford's first women's fencing title in 13 years on Friday. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Stanford sophomore Vivian Kong (right) won Stanford’s first women’s fencing title in 13 years on Friday. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Three Cardinal fencers shined at last week’s NCAA Fencing Championships in Columbus, Ohio, with sophomore Vivian Kong taking home the individual national title in women’s epee on Friday.

Kong’s finals win against senior teammate Francesca Bassa made her just the fifth Stanford women’s fencer to win an NCAA title, and the first since a stretch from 1998-2001 that saw Cardinal athletes win four such individual championships in as many years. Kong finished third in the epee at NCAAs in 2013.

On the men’s side, sophomore Alexander Massialas placed third in the foil on Saturday after earning the top seed entering the semifinals. Massialas took home first-team All-America honors for the second consecutive year.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.