Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Kong takes home women’s epee title at NCAA Championships

Stanford sophomore Vivian Kong (right) won Stanford's first women's fencing title in 13 years on Friday. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Stanford sophomore Vivian Kong (right) won Stanford’s first women’s fencing title in 13 years on Friday. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Three Cardinal fencers shined at last week’s NCAA Fencing Championships in Columbus, Ohio, with sophomore Vivian Kong taking home the individual national title in women’s epee on Friday.

Kong’s finals win against senior teammate Francesca Bassa made her just the fifth Stanford women’s fencer to win an NCAA title, and the first since a stretch from 1998-2001 that saw Cardinal athletes win four such individual championships in as many years. Kong finished third in the epee at NCAAs in 2013.

On the men’s side, sophomore Alexander Massialas placed third in the foil on Saturday after earning the top seed entering the semifinals. Massialas took home first-team All-America honors for the second consecutive year.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger