RT @wilnerhotline: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery questionable for opener vs UC Davis b/c arm injury. Per HC David Shaw: "It will be close for U…: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wrestling’s special season ends with 40th-place NCAAs finish

After a season that saw the Cardinal wrestling team come the closest it ever has in program history to winning a conference title, Stanford was unable to improve upon its 38th-place finish at the 2013 NCAA Championships, tying for 40th in this year’s tournament in Oklahoma City.

Senior Dan Scherer (right) notched an upset in his first-round bout with No. 16 seed Alex Polizzi at the NCAA Championships, but was forced to withdraw from the tournament afterwards due to injury. (DAVID ELKINSON/isiphoto.com)

Senior Dan Scherer (right) notched an upset in his first-round bout with No. 16 seed Alex Polizzi at the NCAA Championships, but was forced to withdraw from the tournament afterwards due to injury. Scherer was one of four individual champions for Stanford at this month’s Pac-12s, pictured above. (DAVID ELKINSON/isiphoto.com)

Fifth-year senior Ryan Mango lasted the longest of Stanford’s wrestlers before he was eliminated from the consolation bracket on Friday night by Minnesota’s David Thorn, who would go on to finish fifth in the 133-pound weight class on Saturday. The No. 11 seed Mango notched victories against Chuck Zeisloft of Rider, Dominick Malone of Northwestern and 14th-seeded Zane Richards of Illinois before his All-American career came to an end against Thorn.

Sophomore 165-pounder Jim Wilson notched a pair of victories at the championships, while sophomore 125-pounder Evan Silver and senior 197-pounder Dan Scherer notched a win each. Scherer was forced to withdraw after suffering an injury in his first-round match, an exciting 11-9 decision on Thursday over No. 16 seed Alex Polizzi of Northwestern that came down to the final moments.

The Cardinal won a school-record four Pac-12 individual titles this year and tied its high for NCAA qualifiers with five. Stanford lost team captain Bret Baumbach, a senior and 2013 Pac-12 champion, to a career-ending injury last month.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the Football Editor at The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a junior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.