In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 16 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 20 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 21 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 22 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 23 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 25 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 27 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 29 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 30 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Crucial third and six coming up for UCLA. 2:39 on the clock, only one Stanford timeout left.: 32 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Wrestling’s special season ends with 40th-place NCAAs finish

After a season that saw the Cardinal wrestling team come the closest it ever has in program history to winning a conference title, Stanford was unable to improve upon its 38th-place finish at the 2013 NCAA Championships, tying for 40th in this year’s tournament in Oklahoma City.

Senior Dan Scherer (right) notched an upset in his first-round bout with No. 16 seed Alex Polizzi at the NCAA Championships, but was forced to withdraw from the tournament afterwards due to injury. (DAVID ELKINSON/isiphoto.com)

Senior Dan Scherer (right) notched an upset in his first-round bout with No. 16 seed Alex Polizzi at the NCAA Championships, but was forced to withdraw from the tournament afterwards due to injury. Scherer was one of four individual champions for Stanford at this month’s Pac-12s, pictured above. (DAVID ELKINSON/isiphoto.com)

Fifth-year senior Ryan Mango lasted the longest of Stanford’s wrestlers before he was eliminated from the consolation bracket on Friday night by Minnesota’s David Thorn, who would go on to finish fifth in the 133-pound weight class on Saturday. The No. 11 seed Mango notched victories against Chuck Zeisloft of Rider, Dominick Malone of Northwestern and 14th-seeded Zane Richards of Illinois before his All-American career came to an end against Thorn.

Sophomore 165-pounder Jim Wilson notched a pair of victories at the championships, while sophomore 125-pounder Evan Silver and senior 197-pounder Dan Scherer notched a win each. Scherer was forced to withdraw after suffering an injury in his first-round match, an exciting 11-9 decision on Thursday over No. 16 seed Alex Polizzi of Northwestern that came down to the final moments.

The Cardinal won a school-record four Pac-12 individual titles this year and tied its high for NCAA qualifiers with five. Stanford lost team captain Bret Baumbach, a senior and 2013 Pac-12 champion, to a career-ending injury last month.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.