RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Synchronized swimming places third at U.S. Nationals

The Stanford synchronized swimming team was unable to defend its 2013 national title at this weekend’s U.S. Collegiate Nationals, finishing third on Saturday in Oxford, Ohio.

Senior Leigh Haldeman (front center) and junior Megan Hansley (front left) were the only upperclassmen on a young Cardinal synchro team that finished third at the U.S. Nationals on Saturday. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

The Cardinal nearly took first in the team routine, tying Ohio State for second (88.500) and placing just behind Lindenwood University (88.600), which won the overall title by sweeping the team, solo, duet and trio events.

Stanford graduated five of the seven swimmers who participated in the title-winning team routine in 2013, with the lone exceptions, senior Leigh Haldeman and sophomore Evelyna Wang, returning to anchor this year’s group. Haldeman and junior Megan Hansley were the lone upperclassmen on a young team with a lot of potential in the years to come.

Freshmen Isabella Park and Marisa Tashima led the Cardinal in the duet with a third-place finish, while Haldeman, Hansley and Wang placed fourth in the trio. Sophomore Carolyn Morrice (seventh) was Stanford’s top finisher in the solo event.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a junior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger