.@StanfordWSoccer will take on another Sunshine State squad when they face FSU in the semifinals next Friday in Boca Raton: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: What a day for @GoStanford! @StanfordWVB wins the @pac12 at Cal, @StanfordFball wins at UCLA and @StanfordWSoccer to the …: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
shades of Drew Hutchins last year as Campbell made two saves in the shootout and then put away the final shot to win: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Jane Campbell scores the deciding PK! The Card advances to the College Cup!: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Florida puts it away, 3-3 with one shot remaining in the shootout. Campbell to take the fifth shot for the Card.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Haley Rosen scores and now Florida must score to stay alive.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
2-2 now. First time Campbell guessed wrong.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Synchronized swimming places third at U.S. Nationals

The Stanford synchronized swimming team was unable to defend its 2013 national title at this weekend’s U.S. Collegiate Nationals, finishing third on Saturday in Oxford, Ohio.

Senior Leigh Haldeman (front center) and junior Megan Hansley (front left) were the only upperclassmen on a young Cardinal synchro team that finished third at the U.S. Nationals on Saturday. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

The Cardinal nearly took first in the team routine, tying Ohio State for second (88.500) and placing just behind Lindenwood University (88.600), which won the overall title by sweeping the team, solo, duet and trio events.

Stanford graduated five of the seven swimmers who participated in the title-winning team routine in 2013, with the lone exceptions, senior Leigh Haldeman and sophomore Evelyna Wang, returning to anchor this year’s group. Haldeman and junior Megan Hansley were the lone upperclassmen on a young team with a lot of potential in the years to come.

Freshmen Isabella Park and Marisa Tashima led the Cardinal in the duet with a third-place finish, while Haldeman, Hansley and Wang placed fourth in the trio. Sophomore Carolyn Morrice (seventh) was Stanford’s top finisher in the solo event.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.