RT @AndyLucksBeard: I hear Marcus Mariota is taking golf & yoga this quarter. My senior year was more demanding, and I'm just a beard. #go…: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Tough blow for former Stanford football/baseball star Tyler Gaffney w/ season-ending knee injury (via @SteveReedAP) http:/…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @wilnerhotline: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery questionable for opener vs UC Davis b/c arm injury. Per HC David Shaw: "It will be close for U…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 5 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 5 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Synchronized swimming places third at U.S. Nationals

The Stanford synchronized swimming team was unable to defend its 2013 national title at this weekend’s U.S. Collegiate Nationals, finishing third on Saturday in Oxford, Ohio.

Senior Leigh Haldeman (front center) and junior Megan Hansley (front left) were the only upperclassmen on a young Cardinal synchro team that finished third at the U.S. Nationals on Saturday. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

The Cardinal nearly took first in the team routine, tying Ohio State for second (88.500) and placing just behind Lindenwood University (88.600), which won the overall title by sweeping the team, solo, duet and trio events.

Stanford graduated five of the seven swimmers who participated in the title-winning team routine in 2013, with the lone exceptions, senior Leigh Haldeman and sophomore Evelyna Wang, returning to anchor this year’s group. Haldeman and junior Megan Hansley were the lone upperclassmen on a young team with a lot of potential in the years to come.

Freshmen Isabella Park and Marisa Tashima led the Cardinal in the duet with a third-place finish, while Haldeman, Hansley and Wang placed fourth in the trio. Sophomore Carolyn Morrice (seventh) was Stanford’s top finisher in the solo event.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the Football Editor at The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a junior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.