Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Synchronized swimming places third at U.S. Nationals

The Stanford synchronized swimming team was unable to defend its 2013 national title at this weekend’s U.S. Collegiate Nationals, finishing third on Saturday in Oxford, Ohio.

Senior Leigh Haldeman (front center) and junior Megan Hansley (front left) were the only upperclassmen on a young Cardinal synchro team that finished third at the U.S. Nationals on Saturday. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

The Cardinal nearly took first in the team routine, tying Ohio State for second (88.500) and placing just behind Lindenwood University (88.600), which won the overall title by sweeping the team, solo, duet and trio events.

Stanford graduated five of the seven swimmers who participated in the title-winning team routine in 2013, with the lone exceptions, senior Leigh Haldeman and sophomore Evelyna Wang, returning to anchor this year’s group. Haldeman and junior Megan Hansley were the lone upperclassmen on a young team with a lot of potential in the years to come.

Freshmen Isabella Park and Marisa Tashima led the Cardinal in the duet with a third-place finish, while Haldeman, Hansley and Wang placed fourth in the trio. Sophomore Carolyn Morrice (seventh) was Stanford’s top finisher in the solo event.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.