79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nolan wins third consecutive 200 IM title as Card take second at Pac-12s

Despite another individual conference championship from junior David Nolan, the Stanford men’s swimming and diving squad finished in second at the Pac-12 Championships for the second consecutive season, with the Cardinal’s 661 points not enough to surpass a solid showing that resulted in 786 points for Cal, which claimed its second conference title in as many years.

(RICHARD C. ERSTED/stanfordphoto.com)

Junior David Nolan (above) claimed his third consecutive Pac-12 title in the 200-yard individual medley (IM) over the weekend as the Cardinal took second place for the second consecutive year. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/stanfordphoto.com)

Nolan’s time of 1:41.49 in the 200-yard individual medley (IM), arguably his best event, broke both a meet record and a Pac-12 conference record — both of which had previously been held by Austin Staab ‘11. He finished nearly two seconds faster than any of the other swimmers in the event, including four Stanford teammates that had also qualified for the “A” final after strong showings in the heats. Nolan’s victory was never in doubt, as he jumped out to an early lead and distanced himself from the pack with stellar backstroke and freestyle legs.

The victory marked a third consecutive Pac-12 title in the 200 IM for Nolan, as he became only the third athlete in conference history to do so. However, he was disappointed in his other two individual events — the 100-yard backstroke and the 200-yard backstroke — as he failed to take home multiple individual titles at the conference championship for a third straight season.

Nolan got off to a strong start in the 100 back and led after the first 50 yards before slowing down considerably in the second half of the sprint, ultimately being out-touched by less than one-tenth of a second by Cal freshman Ryan Murphy. Although Nolan had set a Pac-12 Championship record in the 200 last season, Murphy also stole the show in that event, setting a new meet record as both he and Cal sophomore Jacob Pebley finished ahead of Nolan, who trailed from the start and couldn’t overcome that initial gap with a strong push in the final 50 yards.

Although the Cardinal failed to register any victories in the finals of any of the relay events, they had strong performances in which they notched NCAA “A” cut times in all but the 200-yard freestyle relay heading into the upcoming NCAA Championships. While their performance in the finals of the 400-yard freestyle relay was mediocre, as they finished in sixth place — slower than even the NCAA “B” standard — the Cardinal notched an “A” standard time in a morning time trial in which it swam 2:52.79 to propel itself into the NCAAs.

Outside of Nolan’s performance in the 200 IM, Stanford’s swimmers as individuals did not have any eye-popping performances. The only other swimmer to register a top-three finish in a final was freshman Max Williamson, who finished third in the 400 IM while notching an NCAA “B” standard time.

Freshman Connor Black and senior Mason Shaw also picked up likely NCAA Championship bids, with Black’s time trial of 46.52 in the 100 butterfly and Shaw’s 53.31 in the 100 breaststroke both surpassing their performances in the finals of those events and putting them within the range of a NCAA “B” cut.

The qualified Cardinal swimmers will continue to work towards the NCAA Championships, which will be held in Austin, Tex. from Mar. 27 to Mar. 29.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027@stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.