Provost Etchemendy appointed to national committee on institutional integrity

In early December last year, Provost John Etchemendy has been appointed to the National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity (NACIQI).

Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education, appointed Etchemendy to serve for a six-year term. Etchemendy is the last of six appointments to the 18-member committee.

According to the U.S. Department of Education, NACIQI is responsible for relaying to the Secretary which accrediting or specific state approval agencies are reliable judges of the quality of postsecondary institutions. Schools must then be approved by recognized agencies to participate in federal programs like student aid.

“John Etchemendy joins five other committee members whose collective talents, experience and wisdom will prove to be invaluable to ensuring that accrediting agencies focus on quality and high standards when evaluating schools and programs,” Duncan said. “I look forward to their expert advice on further strengthening and improving these programs.”

Seunghwa Madeleine Han '17 is a sophomore at Stanford interested in English, international relations and the intersection of technology and human communication. She is currently a contributing writer for music and a former news desk editor at The Daily. Contact her at mhan95 'at' stanford.edu to find out more.