Next up for @StanfordMBB: No. 4 Kansas on Saturday.: 5 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Haase: "We need multiple guys on the offensive end to be efficient...We're not to that point yet.": 5 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Stanford women’s basketball shines in Pac-12 awards

For the second straight year, senior forward Chiney Ogwumike swept the individual Pac-12 awards, receiving both the Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year honors. This is her third consecutive defensive award. The National Player of the Year candidate was also named to the All-Pac-12 Team during all four of her seasons on the Farm. Ogwumike is the only player to rank in the NCAA’s top 10 in scoring (27 points per game), rebounding (12.1 rebounds per game), field goal percentage (62.2) and double-doubles (22). In addition, she has posted thirteen 30-point games and has averaged 25 points and 12.6 rebounds over nine games against top-25 opponents this season.

Tara

Head coach Tara VanDerveer, who became just the fifth Division I women’s basketball coach to win her 900th game, earned her fourth consecutive Pac-12 Coach of the Year award. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Fifth-year senior Mikaela Ruef was also recognized, earning the first all-conference honor of her career with an All-Pac-12 honorable mention. Junior point guard Amber Orrange made it onto the All-Pac-12 Team for the second straight season and also was an All-Defensive Team honorable mention. Guard Lili Thompson was recognized on the All-Freshman Team, while guard Karlie Samuelson made All-Freshman honorable mention.

Head coach Tara VanDerveer won Pac-12 Coach of the Year for the fourth straight season. VanDerveer reached a milestone this season, as she captured her 900th win in November — becoming just the fifth Division I women’s basketball coach to do so.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.