RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rodgers to turn pro after spring season

In an unsurprising move, Stanford junior golfer Patrick Rodgers announced Monday on Twitter his decision to join the professional ranks after the conclusion of the spring season.  The announcement ends brewing speculation over the Avon, Ind., native’s immediate future after he rose to the top spot in the World Amateur Golf Rankings.

Patrick Rodgers

Junior Patrick Rodgers, who is currently ranked first in the World Amateur Golf Rankings, will leave Stanford at the end of the spring season to join the professional ranks. (JOHN TODD/isiphotos.com)

Rodgers has started the spring season in solid form, having already added another individual victory to his growing collection at The Prestige at PGA West while also leading his squad to a team win. Though Rodgers is forgoing his final year of NCAA eligibility, his coach emphasized that the seven-time collegiate event winner is still all-in on helping his teammates reach their lofty goals.

“Patrick has obviously been a great player for us and we appreciate all he’s given to the program,” said head coach Conrad Ray of Rodgers’ decision. “He’s got some great golf ahead of him here in the next few months and he’s very, very committed to the team.”

Despite its magnitude, being the No. 1 amateur golfer on the planet may not be the pinnacle of Rodgers career, which is littered with low scores and top-10 individual finishes. He is a two-time PING and GCAA All-American, has twice represented the U.S. in the prestigious Walker Cup and has already competed at the professional level, most notably finishing T-15th at the 2013 John Deere Classic.

“He’s the epitome of a student-athlete,” Ray continued. “Based on the opportunities are potentially going to present themselves this summer with his ranking and the team that he’s on, he felt like his game was in a spot where he was ready to go tackle the next level. He’s been very forthright and open with us as the process has unfolded, so we appreciate that. We appreciate the mark he’s left on our program, and his work is not done.”

Contact Cameron Miller at cmiller6 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 245 and is the men's and women's golf writer. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.