RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rodgers to turn pro after spring season

In an unsurprising move, Stanford junior golfer Patrick Rodgers announced Monday on Twitter his decision to join the professional ranks after the conclusion of the spring season.  The announcement ends brewing speculation over the Avon, Ind., native’s immediate future after he rose to the top spot in the World Amateur Golf Rankings.

Patrick Rodgers

Junior Patrick Rodgers, who is currently ranked first in the World Amateur Golf Rankings, will leave Stanford at the end of the spring season to join the professional ranks. (JOHN TODD/isiphotos.com)

Rodgers has started the spring season in solid form, having already added another individual victory to his growing collection at The Prestige at PGA West while also leading his squad to a team win. Though Rodgers is forgoing his final year of NCAA eligibility, his coach emphasized that the seven-time collegiate event winner is still all-in on helping his teammates reach their lofty goals.

“Patrick has obviously been a great player for us and we appreciate all he’s given to the program,” said head coach Conrad Ray of Rodgers’ decision. “He’s got some great golf ahead of him here in the next few months and he’s very, very committed to the team.”

Despite its magnitude, being the No. 1 amateur golfer on the planet may not be the pinnacle of Rodgers career, which is littered with low scores and top-10 individual finishes. He is a two-time PING and GCAA All-American, has twice represented the U.S. in the prestigious Walker Cup and has already competed at the professional level, most notably finishing T-15th at the 2013 John Deere Classic.

“He’s the epitome of a student-athlete,” Ray continued. “Based on the opportunities are potentially going to present themselves this summer with his ranking and the team that he’s on, he felt like his game was in a spot where he was ready to go tackle the next level. He’s been very forthright and open with us as the process has unfolded, so we appreciate that. We appreciate the mark he’s left on our program, and his work is not done.”

Contact Cameron Miller at cmiller6 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 245 and is the men's and women's golf writer. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.