Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 15 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 15 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 15 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 15 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 15 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 15 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Men’s gymnastics places second in international friendly

Stanford men’s gymnastics, along with Cal men’s gymnastics and the national teams of Canada, Finland, Japan and Norway, competed at Burnham Pavilion in front of over 1,000 fans on Saturday.

Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card in Saturday's meet. (stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card on Saturday as it finished second in a very competitive home meet. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com)

If Stanford University was a country, Stanford athletes’ performances in the 2012 London Olympics would have placed the University among the top 20 nations in the medals tally, with 12 gold medals going to Stanford athletes.

It’s no surprise, then, that Stanford’s loss to Japan’s collegiate all-star team at Saturday’s meet was so narrow. The Japanese team edged past Stanford men’s gymnastics by just under four points to beat Stanford’s score of 443.65. Just as importantly, however, Stanford edged archrival Cal’s 429.20 by more than 14 points.

Freshman Akash Modi had a particularly strong performance, earning his fourth all-around title of the season, reaching the NCAA top score of the season of 91.35 to finish .05 ahead of Shohei Fujiwara of Japan. Modi is the only gymnast in the NCAA to have scored over 90 points this season and has now done so twice.

Freshman Taylor Seaton and senior Sean Senters both placed in the top five in the vault, coming in third and second, respectively, while sophomore Dennis Zaremski finished in second place on the rings. Junior Brian Knott and senior Chris Turner also contributed career-best performances on the high bar and pommel horse, respectively.

Stanford’s next home meet will be on Saturday, March 8, hosting Ohio State, Arizona State and Cal.

About Nitish Kulkarni

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.