79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s gymnastics places second in international friendly

Stanford men’s gymnastics, along with Cal men’s gymnastics and the national teams of Canada, Finland, Japan and Norway, competed at Burnham Pavilion in front of over 1,000 fans on Saturday.

Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card in Saturday's meet. (stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card on Saturday as it finished second in a very competitive home meet. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com)

If Stanford University was a country, Stanford athletes’ performances in the 2012 London Olympics would have placed the University among the top 20 nations in the medals tally, with 12 gold medals going to Stanford athletes.

It’s no surprise, then, that Stanford’s loss to Japan’s collegiate all-star team at Saturday’s meet was so narrow. The Japanese team edged past Stanford men’s gymnastics by just under four points to beat Stanford’s score of 443.65. Just as importantly, however, Stanford edged archrival Cal’s 429.20 by more than 14 points.

Freshman Akash Modi had a particularly strong performance, earning his fourth all-around title of the season, reaching the NCAA top score of the season of 91.35 to finish .05 ahead of Shohei Fujiwara of Japan. Modi is the only gymnast in the NCAA to have scored over 90 points this season and has now done so twice.

Freshman Taylor Seaton and senior Sean Senters both placed in the top five in the vault, coming in third and second, respectively, while sophomore Dennis Zaremski finished in second place on the rings. Junior Brian Knott and senior Chris Turner also contributed career-best performances on the high bar and pommel horse, respectively.

Stanford’s next home meet will be on Saturday, March 8, hosting Ohio State, Arizona State and Cal.

About Nitish Kulkarni

Nitish is a Deputy Desk Editor at The Stanford Daily. He is a sophomore majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and he is interested in writing about technology and research.