Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Men’s gymnastics places second in international friendly

Stanford men’s gymnastics, along with Cal men’s gymnastics and the national teams of Canada, Finland, Japan and Norway, competed at Burnham Pavilion in front of over 1,000 fans on Saturday.

Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card in Saturday's meet. (

Sophomore Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card on Saturday as it finished second in a very competitive home meet. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/

If Stanford University was a country, Stanford athletes’ performances in the 2012 London Olympics would have placed the University among the top 20 nations in the medals tally, with 12 gold medals going to Stanford athletes.

It’s no surprise, then, that Stanford’s loss to Japan’s collegiate all-star team at Saturday’s meet was so narrow. The Japanese team edged past Stanford men’s gymnastics by just under four points to beat Stanford’s score of 443.65. Just as importantly, however, Stanford edged archrival Cal’s 429.20 by more than 14 points.

Freshman Akash Modi had a particularly strong performance, earning his fourth all-around title of the season, reaching the NCAA top score of the season of 91.35 to finish .05 ahead of Shohei Fujiwara of Japan. Modi is the only gymnast in the NCAA to have scored over 90 points this season and has now done so twice.

Freshman Taylor Seaton and senior Sean Senters both placed in the top five in the vault, coming in third and second, respectively, while sophomore Dennis Zaremski finished in second place on the rings. Junior Brian Knott and senior Chris Turner also contributed career-best performances on the high bar and pommel horse, respectively.

Stanford’s next home meet will be on Saturday, March 8, hosting Ohio State, Arizona State and Cal.

About Nitish Kulkarni

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at'