Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 52 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 55 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 57 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Men’s gymnastics places second in international friendly

Stanford men’s gymnastics, along with Cal men’s gymnastics and the national teams of Canada, Finland, Japan and Norway, competed at Burnham Pavilion in front of over 1,000 fans on Saturday.

Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card in Saturday's meet. (stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore Dennis Zaremski (above) again performed well for the Card on Saturday as it finished second in a very competitive home meet. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com)

If Stanford University was a country, Stanford athletes’ performances in the 2012 London Olympics would have placed the University among the top 20 nations in the medals tally, with 12 gold medals going to Stanford athletes.

It’s no surprise, then, that Stanford’s loss to Japan’s collegiate all-star team at Saturday’s meet was so narrow. The Japanese team edged past Stanford men’s gymnastics by just under four points to beat Stanford’s score of 443.65. Just as importantly, however, Stanford edged archrival Cal’s 429.20 by more than 14 points.

Freshman Akash Modi had a particularly strong performance, earning his fourth all-around title of the season, reaching the NCAA top score of the season of 91.35 to finish .05 ahead of Shohei Fujiwara of Japan. Modi is the only gymnast in the NCAA to have scored over 90 points this season and has now done so twice.

Freshman Taylor Seaton and senior Sean Senters both placed in the top five in the vault, coming in third and second, respectively, while sophomore Dennis Zaremski finished in second place on the rings. Junior Brian Knott and senior Chris Turner also contributed career-best performances on the high bar and pommel horse, respectively.

Stanford’s next home meet will be on Saturday, March 8, hosting Ohio State, Arizona State and Cal.

About Nitish Kulkarni

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.