RT @catzdong: Relevant: @Stanford_Daily op-ed by @CoryBooker published in 1992 shortly after the controversial Rodney King verdict http://t…: 23 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Maya Krishnan '15 and Emily Witt '15 are 2015 Rhodes Scholars! That brings the @Stanford Rhodes count to 114.: 4 days ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @TSDArtsAndLife: John Barton talks to the @Stanford_Daily about Stanford's future "trans-disciplinary" Architectural Design program. htt…: 6 days ago, The Stanford Daily

Polio-like outbreak identified in California

A new polio-like illness has affected at least 20 children in California over the past 18 months, in an outbreak first identified by Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital pediatric neurologist Keith Van Haren.

In a report on the “new type of acute flaccid paralysis” that will be presented to the American Academy of Neurology’s annual meeting in April, Van Haren notes that the five cases he studied did not regain motor function even after treatment.

While the exact cause of the disease is unknown, researchers suspect it may be caused by a virus, as two of the patients tested positive for enterovirus-68.

Van Haren emphasized to CNN that this new disease is not an epidemic. However, he encouraged parents to immediately take children to a doctor if they exhibit any symptoms of paralysis.

About Alex Zivkovic

Alex Zivkovic is a Desk Editor for the news section who likes to cover stories on academics and student activism on campus. Alex is an undeclared sophomore interested in social psychology and political science. He is from Irvine, California. To contact Alex, email him at aleksa ‘at’ stanford.edu.